Bought a new D-Way 1” Skew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

Okay, I admit I have been deciding on a new skew for about 2 years now. Hate to rush into a decision.

I decided on and purchased one from D-Way. I chose his 1" skew he calls a "medium" to ultimately replace my original Harbor Freight 3/4" that I have been using for about 5 years now. Nothing wrong with the HF skew other than the repaired handle and slight bend at the base of the shank. Just felt I was ready to try something a bit more robust.

I am pleased with the D-Way. It shaves wood right now with original sharpening on it. The level of finish on the turned wood is amazing and something that was difficult to achieved even with a freshly sharpened HF HSS version.

I had sharpened the HF skew to a new profile based on what Alan Lacer recommends and it was a big improvement over the original shape/grind.

My perception was when Dave indicated he used a "parabolic" edge on his skews it was the same as Alan referred to but it isn't quite. Alan uses a shape in which the first third from the long edge is gentler, nearly straight then eases into the curve. Dave's is more of a true parabola that curves across the entire surface.

As such, it does drive a bit differently. But in practicing on a maple blank it honest to goodness looked like it had been sanded and finished once I got a feel for it. I had gotten smooth with the HF skew but nothing like that.

Now I need to practice more. Being a thicker tool it has a longer bevel I am still getting used to. Still figuring out how to get it consistent all the way through concave curves. I do wonder why I waited 2 years now.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

I love it when a plan comes together! Glad it was a good buy for you. Is the factory grind flat or hollow? Reading your description sounds like the parabolic edge might have a bit more forgiveness…is that your feel?
Thanks,
Earl

TonyL

I own for 4 or 5 D-ways, 3 Doug Thomas, and several Sorbys. I use D ways 95 of 100 times. In fact, I hardly use the skews anymore; I primarily use D-way roughing gouge. Nothing wrong with the others. Enjoy your purchase! I also own his CBN wheels.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Congratulations Mike! I confess I am one of those who are easily intimidated by the skew. So much so, that I gave one away after my maiden voyage into using it didn't turn out well. But I got another with a HF set. I looked at D-Way CBN wheels. A look was as far as I got. The wheels on my new Rikon low speed grinder will do just fine.

Thanks for the write up on the new skew. I always enjoy your reviews.

mgoetzke

I liked turning bowls but recently have interest in pens. I think mostly because the difficulty finding bowl blanks. You will love the D-Way - I have several gouges and the beading tools.

For my pens like you I treated myself to a skew too even though I never used one due to all the negative info I read. I saw a video by Colwin Way using his signature skew and bought one. I really like using this skew.

Maybe you know this but I didn't is you can get several sharpenings with a CBN card before needing to take it to the grinder. This saves you lots of expensive steel.

MRDucks2

I love it when a plan comes together! Glad it was a good buy for you. Is the factory grind flat or hollow? Reading your description sounds like the parabolic edge might have a bit more forgiveness…is that your feel?
Thanks,
Earl
Yes, the curved edge gives you more edge to work with and makes it harder to catch either edge. It is still flat ground.

I tried a hollow grind on my straight ground HF skew. You definitely need that flat bevel as the hollow grind made it seem like the wood was sucking the skew into it's center. Lol.

MRDucks2

OK, you SUCK Mike!!!! Now you got me thinking about my tool inventory! 🤣

You're responsible for me having an awesome smoker, why not a new tool!
I also bought his 12" handle with mine because I like my rear hand back by my body when I am thinking about it.

He also has an 8" handle if that is what you prefer. Nothing as small as that one set you carry with you, though.

Try one, you will like it.

MRDucks2

I own for 4 or 5 D-ways, 3 Doug Thomas, and several Sorbys. I use D ways 95 of 100 times. In fact, I hardly use the skews anymore; I primarily use D-way roughing gouge. Nothing wrong with the others. Enjoy your purchase! I also own his CBN wheels.
Yeah, I see more D-Way in my future. Looking at the CBN wheels but only for about a year so far. I plan to keep my fine grit wheel that came with the grinder and replace the coarse one with a CBN. Just gotta decide what grit will be right for me.

MRDucks2

Congratulations Mike! I confess I am one of those who are easily intimidated by the skew. So much so, that I gave one away after my maiden voyage into using it didn't turn out well. But I got another with a HF set. I looked at D-Way CBN wheels. A look was as far as I got. The wheels on my new Rikon low speed grinder will do just fine.

Thanks for the write up on the new skew. I always enjoy your reviews.
I go through spells with the skew from using only it to mixing it in with other tools. This finish from the D-Way almost demands mastery of the tool, though.

Fortunately as CBN wheels are getting more competitive, prices are getting a little better even for good ones.

MRDucks2

I liked turning bowls but recently have interest in pens. I think mostly because the difficulty finding bowl blanks. You will love the D-Way - I have several gouges and the beading tools.

For my pens like you I treated myself to a skew too even though I never used one due to all the negative info I read. I saw a video by Colwin Way using his signature skew and bought one. I really like using this skew.

Maybe you know this but I didn't is you can get several sharpenings with a CBN card before needing to take it to the grinder. This saves you lots of expensive steel.
D-Way mentions in one of their videos that he only touches up with a card and seldom needs to sharpen. Collin Way is great to watch but he seems unnaturally skilled with his skew to me. 😊

MRDucks2

I also bought his 12" handle with mine because I like my rear hand back by my body when I am thinking about it.

He also has an 8" handle if that is what you prefer. Nothing as small as that one set you carry with you, though.

Try one, you will like it.
Maybe not as much as the ribs, but you will like it.

TonyL

Dave has been "grooming" Jimmy for years. Jimmy is super, just like Dave; wouldn't sell anything that I did need and I am an easy-sell for quality tools. Dave can still be reached unless something has happened to him.

Top Bottom