Bottlebrush Vase

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bruce119

bruce119

Well got hold of some Bottlebrush wood. Take a look at this link for the story.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1016392#post1016392

I just got the wood yesterday and turned a vase rite away. It turns great still has a lot of water in it so I got a little wet. Has great color now I got to wait for it to dry. I just started turning larger things after my time with Jimmy Clewes. I really like turning vases this is the typical shape I have taken too. It is probably about the 10th one I made. I only started turning things other than pens since my time with Jimmy Clewes a few weeks ago. My camera is on the fritz so these are best I can do.

BB1.jpg

BB4.jpg

BB7.jpg

thanks for looking

bruce119

Bruce,

That looks great. Did you turn it to final size? If so, what are you doing to avoid checking as it dries?

Chris

Chris
I am not doing nothing in the class I took with Jimmy he turns them wet he says he even prefers the same day it was cut. I think the reason I have not have any problem I turn thin. I only had maybe 3 crack a Little and one crack up pretty bad but it was thick and I left a thick base it was Oak. From what I here Oak is prone to checking. Now it does deform and go a little oval but that to me is OK that is a natural process. My goal is to turn thin less than 1/8" I wet sand wile on the lathe with abernet. Heck it drys in about 2 weeks then I do a final sanding.

Works for me now there was some woods I am learning that don't work so well such as the Florida Cherry Laural. That checked up all over and looks like a droopy mushroom. But heck with a little black epoxy fill the cracks sand it up and you mite have an interesting artistic looking piece.

Thanks for the comments I will keep you informed hoe this piece drys. It looks like it is going to be OK I turn rite around the pith so it is even and should dry fairly straight.

thanks

robutacion

Hi Bruce,

Yes, you right, the Bottlebrush turns beautifully when green and the colours are just phenomenal BUT, the bloody thing cracks, twists and buckles like a crazy mule, as soon as it start drying...!:eek::frown:
Interestingly, with the old (aged=bigger sizes wood, trunk, branches, etc...!) Bottlebrushes, the movement of its timber as its dries does depend considerably from what part of the tree/shrub/plant it was cut from, the closer you get from the base (butt/root) the worse, even tough the coloration and figure are normally more spectacular, I have found that the thinnest the branches the more stable the wood was while drying.

There are obviously different types of Bottlebrushes, mine was a cross between it and a Banksia, a lot of wood was wasted when I decided to cut pen blanks and other blanks out of the green wood (within a day of being cut/removed from the ground...!), most of those were unusable for their purpose, within a couple of months lucky me that I cast wood in resin, as those end-up being some of my most spectacular results in the resifills so far (all on eBay).

I got a cold chill when I saw the vase and read what was made of and when, I sincerely hope that you get better luck with your Bottlebrush species for doing green projects like that, I honestly do...!
I do also a lot of green turning an no doubt, is a experience on its own right, some timbers allow for successful results, including the pieces that are turned , knowing that the wood will move but not crack, resulting in some interesting shapes, to those that just stay straight(ish) allowing for finishing within a few months.

If you were in Australia ( I don't think this product is available in the US, nor I know a US substitute for it), I would suggest you to get ASAP some Fungishield from Feast Watson and soak that vase on it, a couple of times with a day in between, that is what I do to all my green turnings, regardless of wood type used, that has been my best "friend" for a long time, saving me a lot of pieces from becoming firewood...!:wink:

I would be looking forwards to hear from you, a little further a long the track, in regards to this piece...!:)

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Top Bottom