Bottle Stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

Well, crap.

I was just deciding to look into making bottle stoppers. I bought a 1.5" pipe and plugs to make molds, and was about to order the hardware.

Then I went to Hobby Lobby.

They have pretty nice stoppers. I mean they look absolutely great! For $5. Yeah, the hardware is probably crap as opposed to Ruth's SS stoppers, but so what?

I'll make one just to say I did and move on.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lee K

If you are saying 'its not worth making them (to sell I presume) if you can buy them at hobby lobby for $5' .... then it depends on your intentions.

I make cutting boards that I sell for $30-$80 .. that someone can buy at Walmart for $8 .. people are buying ME and a hand-crafted items from local woods ... and they know its one of a kind.

Same would go for stoppers. I have sold a couple for 20-25 and people like or have never seen something quite like it.

Stoppers for me are fun to turn and another good way to utilize cut-offs !!!

woodgraver

I think personalizing them is another avenue where you can make something that they just can't get anywhere else. I made one for a lady in the Red Hat organization, a Navy pilot with embedded pilot's wings...I've never seen ones like this for sale anywhere. I also did one with gold flake and gave it as a gift to a dear friend...my cost $6...her appreciation, priceless ;)

Jim

kirkfranks

I saw similar stoppers at Halmark store last week. Just remember that you don't need to feel like you are competing with those stoppers any more than the 100's of pesn that the same store also sells for $5.00 and under.

As stated above our products are different. How you market that difference is what will make them sell (or not.)

Top Bottom