Bottle stopper questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

I decided to try some bottle stoppers. I thought they were pretty much universal, but it looks like there are actually different sizes. Whiskey stoppers, wine stoppers, maybe others? I'm not a drinker so I have no idea. if I decide to sell these, what size fits what type of bottle?

Also, threaded insert or not? I see differing opinions on that, esp since it's going in end grain unless I feel like making a wood plug insert for the insert. Then again, I don't suppose end grain would tap that well on it's own, either. I'd think some epoxy or CA would hold the plug and wood together fine without a threaded insert.

I did see a great suggestion about drilling a recess to hide any slight gaps if the blank isn't perfectly squared. That definitely sounds like a great idea.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I just recently converted to Ruth Niles bottle stoppers (nilesbottlestoppers.com). Her's are all food grade Stainless Steel and produced in the USA and the stopper and rings are warranted for life. You might want to check out her website as some of the questions above are answered on her site. Her mandrels are great and extremely easy to use. I also use the brass inserts instead of the drill and tap set up some suggest and I've had no problems...at all. The inserts allow you to "mix and match" stoppers to different stopper heads. Your customers can choose a stopper and then select the top section too. If you contact Ruth directly she will usually get back to you within 24 hours and she'll answer all your questions. I'd like to see how your work comes out. Here's a shot of one of mine with a Niles stopper in Curly Koa. You can also see this exact stopper in her "Gallery" section on her site. Good luck.

Almost forgot, you can get an extra 10% off all her items, even if they're on sale, by using the coupon code "show special". Quick and inexpensive shipping too.

curlykoaand stainless.jpg

monophoto

My experience is limited to wine stoppers. I've made quite a few - I don't sell them, but I always include a stopper with a bottle of wine that we give as a gift to the host when we are invited to parties. And our neighborhood has lots of parties!

Stoppers generally are spindles with the grain parallel to the axis of the lathe, and threading a mounting hole in end-grain is a problem. Yes, it can be done, but I've pretty much standardized on making wooden plug inserts with threaded holes. I make them in bulk (production mode) by drilling 5/16" holes in a piece of "1-by" face-grain timber (which is actually 3/4" thick), threading the holes, cutting them apart, and then mounting them on a stopper mandrel to turn each plug to a 5/8" diameter.

To make a stopper, I mount the blank between centers, turn to round, and put a small tenon on what will become the top. Then, I grip the tenon in a chuck to face off the bottom. I prefer to either make the bottom concave, or else cut a mortise in the bottom with a forstner bit, so that the seam between the finished turning and the stopper cannot be seen when viewed from the side. I know this isn't necessary, but it's just what I do. Then I drill a 5/8" hole, insert and glue in one of the threaded plugs, and after the glue sets, finish off the bottom. I always apply finish/sealer on the bottom so that wine cannot wick through the fibers of the wood and stain the finished stopper.

Then, I remount the blank on a threaded stopper mandrel to finish turning, and apply a finish. The only thing I can say about turning is to avoid a pointed top - in use, it is necessary to press the stopper into the bottle, and a pointed top makes that process painful. So I always have some kind of rounded top. Beyond that, it's a matter of using your esthetic sense to decide what looks good. I tend to prefer stoppers that are not excessively tall, but that's purely a matter of personal taste.

I use either stainless steel stoppers with threaded mounting studs (I prefer Ruth Niles' stoppers) or the PSI silicone sleeve/dowel stoppers. There's a big difference in price, but functionally they work just the same. Ruth's stoppers just screw into the threaded hole in the insert that I glue into the turning. With the silicon sleeve design, the 3/8"x16tpi threaded hole has to be enlarged to accept a 3/8" dowel - I do that by gripping a drill bit in a bench vise, and using it to ream out the threaded hole in the bottom of the turning. This is not difficult since reaming amounts to little more than removing the interior (female) threads. Then, I glue the dowel that holds the silicone sleeve into the enlarged hole.

For finishes, I have used WOP, a shop-made long-oil varnish, and a wiping lacquer. I would avoid shellac-based friction polish since alcohol could attack the finish.

Most of my stoppers are simply turned spindles. But I have experimented with two interesting variations. One is to include a captive ring on the spindle. That always triggers the 'how did you do that?" question. By the way, finishing a stopper with a captive ring is not easy - I generally use a simple oil finish on them. Another is to do a spiral cove on the spindle. Both are fun for me to do, but they do involve a lot of work so they may not make sense if you are making stoppers to sell.

hbillings

I'm not an expert at this, but can definitely second the suggestion to use Ruth Niles bottle stoppers. She is awesome and the stoppers are the best quality you'll find out there.

sorcerertd

I read the thread from 2016 (I think) and there's ton's of good info. Louie, you hit it outta the park on that thread, I learned a lot.

That's probably the one I looked at when searching for an answer. There's a lot of good info he provided here, too. I guess I'll see what happens as far as size. I just ordered the PSI starter kit (with the 5 different ones) to see what I think. Had a nice coupon anyway. There are some nice starter sets on Ruth's website, too. Stainlessbottlestoppers.com seems to have quite a few choices, too.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I drill & tap my holes. For really hard, solid woods, I use the recommendaed 5/16 bit. For softer woods, I use a 9/32 bit.

If I get a strip-out, I glue in a piece of dowel rod & redrill. If the stud doesn't thread in securely after I remove the blank from the mandrel, I might coat the threads with CA, let it dry & retap, or sometimes I just glue the stud into the blank.

This is just what works well for me. As you can tell, there are a number of ways to go about making bottle stoppers.

I make and sell a number of bottle stoppers, mostly wine stoppers. I don't turn on a mandrel, I use a pin chuck with a 3/8" hole drilled in the stopper blank, then a couple of drops of thick CA to hold the stopper in place.... While I've heard nothing but good things about Ruth Niles's stoppers, I don't use hers... I buy mine from EZ-POTS in Seattle... they are the same food grade 304 stainless steel and about half the price of Ruth's... granted she advertises made in USA and EZ-POTS admits theirs are from China, but since I'm making them for resale and trying to keep my costs down, so I can keep my prices down also, I prefer to use the lesser expensive, but same quality parts.
I finish with 2 coats of sanding sealer and 3-5 coats of wipe on polyurethan

I worked in international logistics for 40+ years and am aware that we are living in a global economy now and business being business, I'm not as hung up on made in USA. Even things touted as Made In USA often have foreign parts and are only assembled here. My stoppers are made in USA, just using international components.

Last edited:
I make and sell a number of bottle stoppers, mostly wine stoppers. I don't turn on a mandrel, I use a pin chuck with a 3/8" hole drilled in the stopper blank, then a couple of drops of thick CA to hold the stopper in place.... While I've heard nothing but good things about Ruth Niles's stoppers, I don't use hers... I buy mine from EZ-POTS in Seattle... they are the same food grade 304 stainless steel and about half the price of Ruth's... granted she advertises made in USA and EZ-POTS admits theirs are from China, but since I'm making them for resale and trying to keep my costs down, so I can keep my prices down also, I prefer to use the lesser expensive, but same quality parts.
I finish with 2 coats of sanding sealer and 3-5 coats of wipe on polyurethan

I worked in international logistics for 40+ years and am aware that we are living in a global economy now and business being business, I'm not as hung up on made in USA. Even things touted as Made In USA often have foreign parts and are only assembled here. My stoppers are made in USA, just using international components.

To your point Chuck, and this is just my opinion, about Chinese made items I'd like to share a little bit about. Last year one of my knife customers purchases dropped off, and I mean substantially like 70% off (he did over 100 knives per year). My first thought was someone had undercut my price and picked off my business. So I sent a note to my customer and he explained that on the blade, in very small print it was stamped "China" and people just assumed that the knives were made in China. But the knife blank was sold to me as being Made in America. So I contacted the manufacturer and he told me that by federal law, any part of the item that was either made or produced in China had to be stamped or etched with "China". In the case of this knife, the knife was Made in America but the Stainless for the blade came from China, thus the "China" stamp on the blade that made people think it was made in China. Bottle stoppers are different but I think people in the U.S. are starting to question why so much of our everyday items are made in China and I think the virus has just enhanced that feeling.
I agree with you that a Stainless Steel stopper is just that, a Stainless Steel stopper. But peoples perceptions are changing and I think we're going to start seeing that in what people ask for and how we, as makers, respond.

This is just my opinion and I'm in no way suggesting you do your business differently, you have to do what is best for you. There are vendors on this forum I won't support but in the case of Ruth, she's been more than helpful with me, answered my questions quickly and again in my opinion I like supporting her and will continue to. And I'm in no way saying your supplier is a bad company, you and I just have different views and I hope we can agree to disagree. But that's just me, you have to do what's best for you and if what your doing is working keep at it and keep doing what you're doing. So please don't take what I've written the wrong way. Us Navy guys gotta stick together!- Tom

Tom, I understand fully what you are saying and am aware of the U.S. Department of Commerce or U.S. Custom rule about marking country of origin... once sat with a crew that had to open several crates and mark 5,000 pieces of an import that wasn't marked "Made in China"...
But as I said above, I realize that we live in a global economy and I think most people do also... almost everything we buy today, even if it is marked Made in USA, most likely has foreign parts. Most of my customers ask "Did you make these" rather than "were these made in China."...
and I probably have a different attitude about China... when I was still working, one of my customers was a Chinese man somewhere in his 70's that had migrated to the USA when he was 19, he even named is company Loyal American... he exported roughly $1M per month to China where they were converting their steam generated electrical plants to gas powered... I shipped a 40' container of burner parts almost every month for him.

I've heard nothing but good about Ruth and have never had the opportunity to deal with her. My stopper's look exactly like hers to the point it's near impossible or at least very very difficult to tell the difference and are much less expensive, thereby letting me keep my prices down....

To the point of Chinese made, one also has to watch the quality... I bought some pen kits from a Chinese company once... wound up throwing them away as they were not good at all... the better pen kits come from Taiwan... also bought some peppermill inserts that were made in China, at about half the price I normally pay, threw them away also and went back to my regular supplier at twice the price... they were just a better insert.

Some years ago when I was in partnership with another fellow we did some importing of shirts from South or Central America... they were the same as IZOD, but had a different logo.... the same factory sewed the IZOD shirts. At the time an IZOD shirt sold for around $22 in most stores.... they arrived in the USA duty paid at $2.42 each.... that was a 909% markup and if I remember correctly (which I won't swear to) IZOD'S were touted as made in america... the parts may have been cut here and shipped south for assembly, can't say that for sure.

It's fine that you disagree with me and I agree to disagree. I think friends can have differences of opinions and still be friends, and everyone on this site is a friend. I am a great admirer of your knives and always look forward to seeing a new one on line... I can't afford them, but love looking at them.
Have a good day and stay well.

Top Bottom