Bottle stopper question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from GBusardo

GBusardo

Hi, I glued up some corian to make a bottle stopper. I drilled my usual hole 11/32nds I am pretty sure, but I could not get the threaded mandrel into the hole. I use the mandral sold by CSUS. Obviously, this is the first time I am trying corian. I do not want to crack it. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Did you buy threaded bottle stoppers? If so, the threads are 3/8-16TPI and you drilled an undersized hole.
Which is good if you plan on tapping the corian. You will need to use a bottoming tap in the blank.

If you purchased unthreaded stoppers, you may have a problem with the mandrel, but I am only guessing since I don't know what mandrel you have.

You might want to think about making yourself a 3/8" pin chuck, which means you will need to drill a 3/8" hole in the corain to match the 3/8 shank on the stoppers.

GBusardo

Hi ron, I use dowels and cork. I was wishing I had a pin chuck, it seemed like a good alternative. How would I go about making one?

GBusardo

Hey thanks guys, Mike, thats a great little article. I could not wait, so I ended up just gluing the dowel in and mounting it on my chuck. I used a live center to take off some of the pressure and then just cut off the top with a paring tool. That was the way I used to make wood stoppers all the time, until I got fed up with some of the dowels breaking. I am going to make one of those pin chucks though. Thanks again

Top Bottom