bookmarks from craft supplies?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dvoigt

Dvoigt

I was fliping through the. Craft supplies catolog and notice the little bookmark things that offer where it looks like you just turn a little domed piece of wood.

Anyone make these? Are they worth making? What does the "bookmark mandre" look like and how does it work?

Thanks!
Derek

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I was fliping through the. Craft supplies catolog and notice the little bookmark things that offer where it looks like you just turn a little domed piece of wood.

Anyone make these? Are they worth making? What does the "bookmark mandre" look like and how does it work?

Thanks!
Derek

Derek

You can make these fairly quickly so there is not much time in them. It is a good way to use up some of those small pieces of pen blank scraps. I like to use the acrylics because more colorfull. Mandrel is basically a piece of steel the size of the dome with a rod out the back and to be used in a collet chuck would be the best. One of those small attractive items that you can not go wrong with.

jaywood1207

They are a pretty good seller for me at shows. I did not get the mandrel though. I put a 1/2" pieceof dowel in my chuck and glue the piece of wood or acrylic onto the dowel and turn away. I then part it almost off, do my sanding, part off, and use my dremel with a little sanding drum on it to take off the little bit left from when you part off. I can usually get 2 pieces out of 1 left over cut off which is normally around 3/4" long.

Attachments

• DSCF5433.jpg
    DSCF5433.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 292

Dvoigt

They are a pretty good seller for me at shows. I did not get the mandrel though. I put a 1/2" pieceof dowel in my chuck and glue the piece of wood or acrylic onto the dowel and turn away. I then part it almost off, do my sanding, part off, and use my dremel with a little sanding drum on it to take off the little bit left from when you part off. I can usually get 2 pieces out of 1 left over cut off which is normally around 3/4" long.

How long does it take you to do each 1. What do they go for at shows? i would guess $3-4 maybe?

Thanks
Derek

jaywood1207

I turn, sand, and part off each one in about 10 minutes. When I turn I make the dowel or scrap wood that I glue the acrylic onto the same diameter that I need the button turned to so there is no measuring. I turn the full length (3/4" or so) to that diameter then just shape the button sand and part off. I also don't get into wet sanding on these and just run through the micromesh quickly and I've had no problems. Once I get a bunch turned I will sand off the little nub on the back all at once and then glue them all at once rather than 1 by 1. I sell them for $3.

Top Bottom