Board of Education

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PreacherJon

PreacherJon

As I am transitioning my shop back to bowls (for the most part). I found the perfect piece of wood for a project my youngest son and daughter-in-law requested. They wanted me to make a board of education. Well, no expense is too great for my family. So here it is... Bubinga with a Boiled Linseed Oil finish.

Attachments

• xxxxxxBoard of Education.jpg
    xxxxxxBoard of Education.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 73
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

As a kid, there was one of those hanging in every classroom of our elementary school. Wondering if it's acceptable to even have one in a school building today. Beautiful piece Jon...and great memories!!
earl

PreacherJon

There was a whole lot less crap that went on in the schools when those were allowed in every class room plus Principals office, not to mention the a.. whipping we got whenever we got home, usually by both Mom and Dad.
Sadly, the understanding of this type of discipline is so misunderstood today. Most likely because it was misused by ineffective parenting skills. The smack on the bottom (only) needed to be enough to get the attention of the child. To help direct them from poor behavior. The positive's that always ought to come after.. often never came. Now, my wife and always separated the behavior from the child. "We love you, but this behavior is unacceptable." We always, after a bit of time went back to them, and discussed the issue they had done. And let them know we love them and care about them, that behavior, once again is unacceptable. The rules we set down were because we wanted to provide and protect them. We've already discussed this with our son and daughter-in-law. They know they are to never give punishment when they (themselves) are angry or upset. The must wait until they are calm. And have planned out what they are going to do after the spanking is done with positive reinforcement.

mmayo

I have felt one of those and given a swat or two in my early teaching days.

I was in line to have a VCR fixed, a huge guy was behind me with a baton and a gun. He said are you Mr Mayo in a threatening manor and I thought my time was up. He then told me I gave him a swat for acting up. I wondered was he going to beat me up, shoot me or baton me. He held out his hand and thanked me for turning his life around. Whew!

MTViper

Just apply the "Board of Education" to the "Seat of Understanding".

When I was in high school shop, we were tasked with making paddles for the teachers and coaches.

PreacherJon

Just apply the "Board of Education" to the "Seat of Understanding".

When I was in high school shop, we were tasked with making paddles for the teachers and coaches.
I love it. We didn't do that in our shop class... but then again, they probably all had them by the time I got there. In Jr. High, my homeroom teacher and the shop teacher was Mr. Anderson. Former Lineman for Detroit. He had made a two-handled paddle. Every 7th grade shop class he looked for that one kid on the first day messing around. Mr. Anderson would have them take the position of that old square shop table. I don't think he struck them hard... but he would pick them up and fly them onto the table. He never had any problems in his classes the rest of the year.

MTViper

I love it. We didn't do that in our shop class... but then again, they probably all had them by the time I got there. In Jr. High, my homeroom teacher and the shop teacher was Mr. Anderson. Former Lineman for Detroit. He had made a two-handled paddle. Every 7th grade shop class he looked for that one kid on the first day messing around. Mr. Anderson would have them take the position of that old square shop table. I don't think he struck them hard... but he would pick them up and fly them onto the table. He never had any problems in his classes the rest of the year.
I had a Vocational Agriculture teacher who was an offensive lineman for Texas Tech. I watched him lift a small guy off his feet with his paddle one day. I have a feeling the kid's children felt it.

howsitwork

I read a tale of a guy who had been a marine and turned to teaching (more excitement and danger !) . He unfortunatley broke his ribs in a car crash a few weeks before term started so had a plaster cast on his chest under his shirt.
First day in a class were watching closely and as the window was open his tie kept getting blown about and they could see it was vexing him so he took the stapler and stapled it to his chest ( in the cast) . There was absolute silence and no one played up all year in his classes .

Only a tale but 🤷‍♂️ if it works don't knock it

Top Bottom