BLO/CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dscott

tryed my first blo/ca finish will pot pics. one question can you use regular friction polish at the end after you have applyed the blo/ca . the post i read said they use lacquer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Why would you want to... the friction polish will just wear off.. that is why you use the CA finish, for durability... if done right the CA finish will polish like glass..
The only thing I put over my CA finish is Ren Wax

Justin_F

Hi David, Im new too - never be afraid to ask a "silly" question [:p]. (I think everyone here has at one stage or another). I am experimenting with CA/BLO at the moment and can't get a high gloss finish so have been tempted to run over it with something to bring it up. However, and I would respect Tom's advice here, if you get good at CA/BLO or CA finish then you should be able to produce a high gloss finish. I am frustrated too - have tried 5 different CA/BLO techniques (including a couple I improvised). Am gald at this point I am not using a mini lathe as I would have hoiked it out the shop window by now! My advice? Stick with it, read (and re-read) the information on these pages (use the search function) [:)]

green-eyes

I did a pen yesterday and did a CA finish on it. I followed the directions from the front page and it turned out great! I was a bit nervous about sanding, all of the gloss dissapeared, but then it came back better than before. I just buffed it with a t-shirt cloth after sanding with 12,000 MM as I don't have any renwax yet.

BigRob777

Becky,
Where can I find some micromesh? I don't have the right sanding materials, as the smallest grit I have is 220 and that's on my random orbit sander. I may have some sheet sand paper that is smaller, but it won't be by much.
I can't seem to be able to get to my lathe, as I keep working on filling orders. Speaking of which, did you get my e-mail about the bloodwood?[:D]

Justin,
I keep hearing of CA/BLO. I know about the CA, but what is BLO?

Scottydont

I sand my CA/BLO with micromesh and hit it with a buffing pad. Lastly I finish them off with TSW. I don't have my finish down quite as well as Griz but I am getting there.

Bigrob, you can get Micromesh from most woodworking suppliers like Craft Supplies USA, Klingspors, Rockler and Woodcraft etc. Don't expect to find it at the big box stores.

green-eyes

Rob,
I ordered my MM during the group sale that Daniel did. I did get your e-mail and will be in touch with you soon about ordering some (payday is the 13th). Isn't BLO boiled linseed oil? I have never used it. Does it make a big difference using BLO with the CA?

its_virgil

There is an article in the article list written by Fred Munday which gives the directions for applying the CA/BLO finish. It muct be practiced but when it works for you it will be well worth the practice. I often am tempted to not sand or buff the CA/BLO. It often come out like glass when all the stars are in alignment. I do my CA/BLO finish much as Fred Munday instructs, with one exception; I do not use the lacquer at the end.

Gregg Wilson also has an article in the article list. Gregg's article was the one that got me started. Lots of failure and frustration and an email to Gregg followed with some encouagment from Gregg and more instructions until it finally worked.

BLO is boiled linseed oil...not really boiled but chemicals are added to linseed oil to make it fast drying.

At the Utah Woodturning Symposium I did see a bowl turner finishs his bolws with CA and put a coat of lacquer on after buffing the CA and it did seem to make the bowls really shinny. Don't know if I will do this with my pens or not.

Fred's article is here:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/portal.asp?cat=articles

Gregg's is down the list farther.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

JimGo

Rob, if you can't get in on Daniel's bulk buy (which I STRONGLY encourage you to participate in), you can get MicroMesh from International Violin or from PSI (or a PSI reseller like Woodturningz or Pens of Color, who will proabably be cheaper than PSI), WoodCraft, and CSUSA, among others. It is WELL worth the cost.

Also, check out my signature block; there's a link to most of the frequently used acronyms from this site.

its_virgil

...and that's why I call...free long distance on my sprint cell phone and cheaper shipping.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />
Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Don, International Violin also has super fast service if you order from their web site.
Yes, but if you call they will send it for about a buck via USPS! [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom