Blank identification

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MPVic

I received this blank as a gift - there was no label on it but it definitely was cast.
From the photos, I hope you can see the very fine "cracks" at the left hand end of the blank. Any ideas about the material? Are those fine cracks a defect? The right hand end does not have these.
Thanks in advance.
IMG_1102.JPG
IMG_1099.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mortalis

What I see is a tool that is not cutting well. This looks like the tool is rubbing, not cutting and causing the stress cracks. IMHO. I do not know what type of a tool you are using. If you are using a non-insert tool look carefully at the tip underside and you will most likely see a shiny area at the cutting edge. That would be the rubbing that is causing that. If you are using an insert type cutting tool then you could still have a worn edge that is actually acting like it is cutting above center and again causing a rub.
Acrylic is very temperamental about the the cutting edge being being very sharp.

magpens

To me, the blank looks like it could be a cast Alumilite blank. . Alumilite is one of the nicest blank materials and should be a very easy turn.

As for the "cracks", I would tend to agree with the above assessment ... stress marks resulting from the way the tool was applied.
Mind you, I have never seen such marks on Alumilite, but I have "made it happen" on the common "acrylic acetate" (or AA) blanks.

J_B

Second the motion on what Jim stated above. I do not see these as stress cracks. These chatter marks occur when I get too aggressive with my tools plus not being sharp enough and only happens to me on resin. They will disappear with very light cuts then your polishing process.

Fred Bruche

If you got it from someone I know (looks like it ;)), it should be a Liquid Diamonds epoxy blank. it's a bit more temperamental than alumilite, sharpen your tool or if you are close to the final size you could always use sandpaper (150 or 220) to bring it down.

qquake

I've gone as low as 100 grit.

Attachments

• sand02.jpg
    sand02.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 145
  • sand03.jpg
    sand03.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 140
  • sand04.jpg
    sand04.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 143
  • polish01.jpg
    polish01.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 138
  • polish02.jpg
    polish02.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 153
  • polish03.jpg
    polish03.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 145

MPVic

Right on!!!! Thank you to all who responded - it was definitely a dull tool issue. After putting in a new carbide cutter the stress cracks were easily removed. Thanks for sharing your experiences - it's what makes us all better craftsman.

Top Bottom