Black palm slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scry

16432608565939100336241729961014.jpg

First time I've worked with palm before and I can very confidently say I will almost never ever touch this stuff again.
Started off using carbide tools and when that created too much chipping (and subsequent incredible amounts of splinters in my arms) I opted for to sand it all the way down.
I thought turning ebony or any of the black woods were annoying before, but this simply takes the cake. Pretty pen though... only took me 3 hours to finish...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
View attachment 326402
First time I've worked with palm before and I can very confidently say I will almost never ever touch this stuff again.
Started off using carbide tools and when that created too much chipping (and subsequent incredible amounts of splinters in my arms) I opted for to sand it all the way down.
I thought turning ebony or any of the black woods were annoying before, but this simply takes the cake. Pretty pen though... only took me 3 hours to finish...
Nice pen though.
Maybe not worth the pain?

Todd in PA

I stabilized a couple of palm blanks when I had a batch going… but still haven't used them. So I can't say yet whether stabilizing made it easier to work with.

qquake

Great looking pen! I've turned black palm a few times, but don't remember having any problems with it. I used a radiused carbide cutter with a shearing cut.

Attachments

• 063.jpg
    063.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 035b.jpg
    035b.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 067.jpg
    067.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 033b.jpg
    033b.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 99

Amanap

I stabilized a couple of palm blanks when I had a batch going… but still haven't used them. So I can't say yet whether stabilizing made it easier to work with.
I stabilize my own and have never had a problem. I am not sure if the difference is the way I am stabilizing or my palm is different. For the soaking I put in my pressure pot. Black palm comes from a species of palm tree in Asia , I am using Queen Palm.

Scry

Great looking pen! I've turned black palm a few times, but don't remember having any problems with it. I used a radiused carbide cutter with a shearing cut.
I noticed that using the detail cutter carbide gave me very little trouble, though it was still creating some chipping and by that point I was already getting close to the tubes so I didn't want to risk it and went back to the 80 grit abranets.

qquake

I noticed that using the detail cutter carbide gave me very little trouble, though it was still creating some chipping and by that point I was already getting close to the tubes so I didn't want to risk it and went back to the 80 grit abranets.
The diamond shape cutter?

MRDucks2

I stabilize my own and have never had a problem. I am not sure if the difference is the way I am stabilizing or my palm is different. For the soaking I put in my pressure pot. Black palm comes from a species of palm tree in Asia , I am using Queen Palm.
We're you using Cactus Juice (or equivalent) or something else to stabilize, William? I have a process in which I utilize CJ and a pressure pot but had not tried it with palm.

Amanap

We're you using Cactus Juice (or equivalent) or something else to stabilize, William? I have a process in which I utilize CJ and a pressure pot but had not tried it with palm.
I also use CJ. I have a plastic container that fits inside both my vacuum chamber and my pressure pot so I vacuum like normal and then transfer to PP and put under pressure for 2 times the vacuum time. Just not sure if it my stabilizing technique or the type of palm I use but never have any issues.

howsitwork

I also use CJ. I have a plastic container that fits inside both my vacuum chamber and my pressure pot so I vacuum like normal and then transfer to PP and put under pressure for 2 times the vacuum time. Just not sure if it my stabilizing technique or the type of palm I use but never have any issues.
I must try that techniques as even with a shearing cut with razor sharp HSS if you took your eye off it even for a second it splintered!

I stabilised it first with stickfast and should probably have soaked after vacuum for a bit longer . Didn't pressure treat afterwards though

Top Bottom