Bigger Bronze FP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from More4dan

More4dan

Another Bronze Kitless FP, but BIGGER! This one uses a M12 x 0.8 triple thread for the cap, a M10 x 1.0 section, and a JOWO #5 fine nib. The front section was also made to accept the Schmidt rollerball nib. the finial is threaded M7x 0.75 and the clip is recessed to hide the ring requiring a slot to be hand filed for the clip. The clip is chromed and from a PSI seam ripper kit.

I turned this one on my 7 x 10 mini metal lathe using an ER32 collet chuck and carbide tooling. Final profiling was done using files and sand paper. Drilling the Bronze is much like drilling brass requiring sharp bits and frequent clearing of chips.

The pen was wet sanded from 500 to 2500 grit and polished on the buffer. Apologies for the quality of the cell phone photos. One day I'll make a light box and pull out the Nikon but too busy turning.

5B0C3BB1-F854-4307-9889-9D5B031ED473.jpeg
D1EA0E64-A0DD-4E76-A024-A2C66605B7BE.jpeg
7A643A19-1A3A-4DA1-B878-5E7AA35E2879.jpeg

Danny

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

More4dan

That is incredible Danny. It also looks incredibly heavy.;)
What much does it weigh in at? How thin did you get the walls?

Once again, beautiful.

It's a bit heavy, definitely a desk pen. 58 grams uncapped, 103 grams capped. I step drilled the body and cap but still left too much wall thickness. I do want to experiment with using my taper tracing attachment with a boring bar to match the ID and OD shape for a consistent wall thickness. I believe the next one this size will be aluminum or resin. I do have some titanium that has been begging me to turn.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Jans husband

Excellent Danny, Your work is inspirational

Makes me want to get on with my second kitless FP, but I think it will have to be acrylic because I have a wood lathe..

Mike

More4dan

Dan
How did you make the clip from a seam ripper or do the come with clips. Did you chrome it yourself?

It's a chrome clip that comes with the PSI seam ripper kit. I never put the clip on the seam rippers, so I have many of them to use. The size is about right too. I can use a 3/8" mill to make the recessed pocket and a 7 mm male thread fits nicely through the clip ID. It's a simple straight design that works nicely with the metal pens and it matches the polished SS nibs. Mostly I have a bunch and they were free.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom