Big Lead Maple/Cocobolo European

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jkirkb94

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkirkb94

Here is my latest: Big leaf maple with cocobolo accents in satin pearl European. Not happy with it. :( The top pick quard is off center (hidden in picture) Also not happy with the way the big leaf maple came out. Other than that I like the color matching. Kirk[8D]

200751341311_Big%20leaf-coco.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
The maple looks just great on my monitor, Kirk. Yes, the top pickguard segmentation is a tad off, but other than that, your pen shows great planning, execution, choice of materials, and complementing elements. Looks super, and you should be proud!

leehljp

Member Liaison
Kirk,
Beautiful colors! I can hardly tell that the segmentation is off. To me with my bad eyes this jet lagged morning, it looks square.

What I recently learned about segmentation is that it can be done several ways. Many fellows are super good a precise cutting; most have great jigs that aid in the precision. For me, I can't even get it right even with jigs most of the time! [xx(]

Below is how I did this one. (click here!) I started with a great blank and an out-of-round bushing that I thought I had thrown away. One end ruined and the blank was set aside for several months. Then the idea for segmenting came to mind about a month ago. Below is the procedure that came out of that for some other pens and I am VERY happy with the squared up results.

1. I started with the main body on the blank glued onto the tube, ends milled and put onto the lathe.
2. I turned down the blank to the general size and did the END cutting with the parting knife while on the lathe. It made for a <b>square</b> cut.
3. Next I took the blank off the lathe, added the brass rings and the end pieces, which were intentionally about 1 mm too long.
3. I glued them up and pressed them lightly with a squared vise.
4. Lastly, I milled the ends and put the blank back on the lathe and finished the pen. ALL squared up.

I had to leave "cutting from a squared saw" off of my methods as it don't work for me consistently.

jkirkb94

Thanks for the info, Frank. For the future, I will square the ends using my disk sander setup. Its time consuming trying to measure the accents trying to get them uniform! Kirk[:D]

ken69912001

Kirk I do all my segmenting using a table saw sled. That way I can mark my measurements on my sled and go back to them at any time and still get perfectly uniform pieces.And the segments are square.
Your pen looks very nice and with more practice they will become even better.

jkirkb94

Thanks for the hint, Ken! I have been using a bandsaw and a cheap sled for it. I might look into a higher quality one that's ruled. I also need to tighten up the bandsaw. Kirk [8D]

jkirkb94

Thanks, Hank. Slight hard to see in the photo but the center two bands of cocobolo were lighter in color than the ends. Didn't really realize this until I started turning the blanks. Glad it came out this way. If I could do over I would have used a different light wood than big leaf maple. I just wasn't happy with the way it sanded down. Kirk[8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom