Redfish is back!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from redfishsc

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

Lol, I actually made these pens long before the current semester began but I only just now got around to posting them. I have 30+ kits sitting at the house right now waiting for final exams at the seminary to be done with and then.....let's rock....

Jr Gent, curly walnut.
curlywalnut_jrgent.JPG

spalted live-oak Jr Gent
spalt_liveoakJrgent.JPG

spalted maple, stabilized by rtjw (THANKS!)

spalt_maple_Jrgent.JPG

Palmetto tree, slimline
palmetto_slimline.JPG

Two castings from Jeff in Indiana (THANKS!)

first is an American snap-cap in rhodium
amer_ballpoint_pr.JPG

toni-twist slimline, same colors but diffn't pattern
tonitwist_pr.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnnycnc

Hey,redfish!
Thought you forgot about us[:)]
Glad to see ya back around.
All the pens look great,but my pick
would be the rhodium snap cap.

BigRob777

Hi Red,
Good to hear from you. I'm a real sucker for curly walnut, though they're all really nice. I also like your use of the abolone shell. I picked up one off of the beach in Okinawa, in 1978. They're gorgeous.
Rob

redfishsc

Thanks for the comments all.

By the way, the finish on most of those wood pens is catalyzed conversion varnish, which is an interesting spray-finish I may work up a tutorial on one day (great stuff for those that want a very durable, but open-grained finish.....in a hurry).

That being said, I've had a hard time putting a CA finish on walnut. It darkens it so much it's basically black. Anyone else have that problem with walnut and CA? The walnut above is conversion varnish and has a very nice "wood" feel to it while still having a durable film coating.

jedgerton

That Palmetto tree slimline is interesting. You wouldn't be located in the state that features that tree on their state flag would you? I'm from that wonderful state of South Carolina. If you can find a way to attach or inlay a crescent, you've got a winner no SC native can resist!

Great looking collection!

John

redfishsc

Why, yes, I am from South Carolina. I grew up in the upstate (York county), moved to Charleston (currently my favorite place here on terra-firma) for my BA at Charleston Southern, and now I am living up in Wake Forest working on my M.Div at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, so I'm a Naw'calinian at the moment.

I recommend the palmetto as a great wood for someone to make an interesting pen out of--- and learn (or create) various cuss words in the process. Imagine trying to turn particle board and get a nice finish on it. It's like that. And one piece of wood will look nicer than the next... either very nice (as above) or hideously ugly... and you really can't guess that well at it by looking at the blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom