Beware of Kings and Queens...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

studioseven

"Beware of Kings and Queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams". I offer this sage advice to all new pen turners. It seems like almost weekly someone will post that they just started making pens and gave one to__________________ (fill in the blank) who told them they were beautiful and maybe they should start selling them. Hello instant wealth. I have been turning pens a little over ten years. With all that experience I still learn something everyday I step into my workshop. And everyday when I view the posts on this site I am just amazed at the talent on display. My ultimate goal is to reach the zenith that these talented pen turners have reached. I am not there yet. Maybe I never will. One thing I have experienced, is that it is not easy to sell pens. At a Holiday craft show years ago two ladies were looking at my pens. One whispered to the other that she would never buy a pen when she could get one free from her credit union. How true that statement is. I would guess that 99% of the population are quite content using Bic pens. The challenge is reaching the 1% that is left. There is a huge competition for that 1%. My advice to new turners.... perfect your craft. Then figure out ways to reach the 1%. It can be done but it won't be quick or easy. Most important learn from the talented turners that post on this site. I wish you luck.

Seven

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveJ

Well said! I had a friend see one of my pens and said he wanted to buy three for Christmas. I said perhaps he should ask how much they are first...Even with a deep friends discount, he didn't buy them - he wanted to pay less than the cost of the kits. There are lots of people who will greatly admire your work - especially those who received one as a gift and have no idea how much they should sell for!

Kenny Durrant

I agree with the both of you. First off I'll add that your never too old or good enough to stop learning or just know it all. Although wood will always be wood everything else is changing. There's always a new or better glue or resin. There's several different ways to treat or prepare wood for projects. That's not even touching materials for pen turning that doesn't even use wood at all. With the materials changing so does technics and different tools. As far as selling them I've sold a few but not enough to cover my overall cost. I could never support myself on this hobby. The ones I did sell were for gifts and not for the person buying them. I haven't kept up with the numbers but I'm sure I've given way more than double away than I've sold. I've been told I need to get a better class of friends to help offset that number. Ha Ha. I'm not trying to discourage anyone because I'm sure it can be done just not by me.

JohnU

I'm right there with you Kenny. I've probably only sold 10 % of the pens I've made and most of there were for a couple dollars over cost. Thankfully I found blank making to fund my pen supplies which allows me to give them away or donate to fund raisers. My advice to a new guy would be ...do it because you enjoy it. If you can make a few bucks on the side - good for you. As for a level of achievement... in this craft it's hard to pick one. There are so many talents and directions that I don't think I will ever achieve all of them that I have my my bucket list. Thankfully we have the IAP to remind us all that there is so much to learn.

magpens

It seems that this thread is about selling pens.

Quoting from the last line of the OP :- "Most important, learn from the talented turners that post on this site."

Very true . . We are all aware of the benefits we gain through our communication with the talented turners here . . And we know we are here to share and we do share willingly and enthusiastically whenever we feel we have something worthwhile to share. . I think most of us want to share.

But does anyone get jealous/discouraged or even depressed to read about others' successes with PEN SALES .... successes that seem to elude us ?

In addition to "talented turners" it seems that there may be some "talented sales people" here also. . I get that impression at times.

And yet, it would seem that successful pen sales has been an elusive goal for many . . Sure, we all sell a few . . But, not enough to pay the bills.
A few years ago I made a concerted effort to sell pens. . I think that I might have paid for my gas to and from the sales venues.
And now times are a lot tougher, what with Covid hanging over everything. . But hopefully that will change before long.

. . . . . . . . . .

A thought that has been on my mind lately is that maybe there would be value in having a sub-forum on IAP about ..... Selling Pens ..... !

I don't think that I would have anything to share on such a forum. . But maybe some others here would be able to share a lot.

What say you ? . Just an idea .

henry1164

I'm relatively new to pen turning and have given away my most of wares but I have sold a few mostly because someone saw my stuff. I never had any thought of making a living through this "hobby". If I sell anything the profit would be returned to the hobby making the cost of the hobby a little less out of my pocket. I do live vicariously through the pen turners who have posted about their successes. I enjoy the posts and am very happy for any of the activities that keep them going. It's the journey......

Mikeyt

I started pen turning as a way to be creative I often thought who would want a wooden pen or pay money for a pen when they are free or a few cents. I loved to make them and give away to friends and family. After a few years I started to carry my mistakes and can honestly say there really is a difference in writing with a nice pen. I thought I may loose it or misplace it that was why I did not want to carry a nice pen. I can say that after 3 years I am still carrying the same pen and have not lost it or left it some place. I have replaced the ink refill several times. I truly love writing with a nice hand made pen. This often is lost on the person looking at the price tag of a hand turned pen.
I try to explain this to people interested in my work until the price comes up. After it is just a pen not worth the price but they often return when they realize how special it will mean to the special person the are gifting it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

sbwertz

I've sold a few. I made some pretty little slimlines and gave them to my pharmacist and his helpers. The pharmacist has since bought 25 or so for gifts over the past three or four years. Just the slimlines which I sell to him for twenty dollars each. Several other people at Sam's club saw them and I wound up selling another ten or so to other employees there at the same price. Mostly I make them for gifts. I've handed out a lot of them at curbside pickups for the past year, and to my FedEx and UPS delivery men, postman, etc. I keep several in my purse all the time. I've depended so much on curbside pickup and deliveries during the pandemic because of the immunosuppressants I have to take for RA.

sbwertz

I started pen turning as a way to be creative I often thought who would want a wooden pen or pay money for a pen when they are free or a few cents. I loved to make them and give away to friends and family. After a few years I started to carry my mistakes and can honestly say there really is a difference in writing with a nice pen. I thought I may loose it or misplace it that was why I did not want to carry a nice pen. I can say that after 3 years I am still carrying the same pen and have not lost it or left it some place. I have replaced the ink refill several times. I truly love writing with a nice hand made pen. This often is lost on the person looking at the price tag of a hand turned pen.
I try to explain this to people interested in my work until the price comes up. After it is just a pen not worth the price but they often return when they realize how special it will mean to the special person the are gifting it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
I lasered my initials on my carry pen after I let several people talk me out of my purse pen! I once had my seatmate on a plane buy my carry pen right out of my hand. Now I can show it off without them trying to buy it out of my hand! It is a pretty little Olive slimline with a stylus top. My husband lost one of his Sierra carry pens to a clerk in a gift shop once, too. The guy gave him fifty dollars for it.

tomtedesco

I guess I make pens to fill my time. The bonus is what people say about the pens and how shocked they are that I made a pen. I have given away 95% of my pens, the others are for people that want gifts and I just cover the kit cost. I enjoy being out in shop and trying different ways to make blanks and good looking, working, pens.

I lasered my initials on my carry pen after I let several people talk me out of my purse pen! I once had my seatmate on a plane buy my carry pen right out of my hand. Now I can show it off without them trying to buy it out of my hand! It is a pretty little Olive slimline with a stylus top. My husband lost one of his Sierra carry pens to a clerk in a gift shop once, too. The guy gave him fifty dollars for it.
While I was still working, my carry pen was one I turned from antler... don't remember the pen kit name now, but I've had to chace numerous truck drivers down the dock to get my pen back.

howsitwork

While I was still working, my carry pen was one I turned from antler... don't remember the pen kit name now, but I've had to chace numerous truck drivers down the dock to get my pen back.
Hm is that what tell the wife for you chasing after truck drivers ??? We do have a very pretty post office lady deliver our mail, might try that excuse šŸ˜‰

Top Bottom