Paua Abalone Pen Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Those that make these abalone type blanks, what have you found that is able to make clean precise cuts. If you use a laser, what brand have you found works well?? Any secrets you would like to share?? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
If my memory isn't completely shot, then I'm sure I remember Butch - IBD2000 (?) saying he cut his with a razor blade.

JohnU

I lay it face down and use a metal straight edge and razor blade but it isn't as clean as the laser cut blanks.

jttheclockman

If my memory isn't completely shot, then I'm sure I remember Butch - IBD2000 (?) saying he cut his with a razor blade.
Yes so far the ones I have been doing I have tried to use guillotine style paper cutter (old school type) and also a roller blade one. I also tried normal razor blades and even carbide ones. I get some good cuts with carbide but all other methods the sheet cracks and the cracks show up. It takes many swipes with light pressure and is time consuming. If I can not find a suitable way I am working on a work around to these type blanks and may try a few. I also tried using the flexible stuff sold by Mudhole. They are thinner. They work better but they are limited in colors. Not what I am after. Laser cutting seems to be the answer but have no idea which one is good and how this is done. Hoping someone will share.

SteveG

I once asked Butch about his technique. Response was to use a Dremel type diamond blade (set up like a miniature table saw, sort of). I never got around to doing it, but that was the concept.

jttheclockman

I once asked Butch about his technique. Response was to use a Dremel type diamond blade (set up like a miniature table saw, sort of). I never got around to doing it, but that was the concept.
interesting. I do have diamond tipped blades. To take it another step further, I may try scrollsaw. I have metal cutting blades that are super super fine as well as diamond tipped.

Top Bottom