Best paper towel for CA finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EdM

I'm very new to CA finishing, but have been having reasonably good results with both the white raggs and the blue shop paper towels.

I remember hearing in someone's finishing youtube that the cellulose in some paper towels causes the CA to cure faster than what is desirable for our applications.

I have been having some issues removing the micro radial grooves in CA, even though I've been applying micro mesh pads as directed. My wooden finishes have been coming out much better, where I use EEE and Shellawax, or HUT polishes.

Any help would be appreciated on this particular issue. Perhaps I just need more experience working with CA ?

Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I'm very new to CA finishing, but have been having reasonably good results with both the white raggs and the blue shop paper towels.

I remember hearing in someone's finishing youtube that the cellulose in some paper towels causes the CA to cure faster than what is desirable for our applications.

I have been having some issues removing the micro radial grooves in CA, even though I've been applying micro mesh pads as directed. My wooden finishes have been coming out much better, where I use EEE and Shellawax, or HUT polishes.

Any help would be appreciated on this particular issue. Perhaps I just need more experience working with CA ?

Ed

The scratches that are radial are caused from sanding and sanding alone. if they were caused from the tool you would have seen them right away. What is your pattern for sanding. you should never have to start with anything less than 600 grit or I will even give you 400 grit. But less than that you need to work on your tool work. When you start sanding there are no short cuts. You need to sand both radial and lengthwise with each grit used. You need to clean the blank with clean paper towel and do this all the way up your MM routine. I always use water as a carrier to help lubricate any sanding dust. That includes using wet dry paper and never woodworkers sandpaper on acrylics.

leehljp

Member Liaison

Ed

Micro radial grooves are a result of too course of sand paper and not sanding them out. This is pens, not furniture wood. There are still those that believe 280, 320 sandpaper, (which is considered mid to high grit in flat wood) - believe that these grits are good for pens. People don't inspect the wood on finished woodwork like they do on a pen. Many of your finer pen makers start with 400 or 600 as JT mentioned above.. It doesn't take too much practice to learn to do that.

Woodworkers in flat work rarely go above 400; in pens I never start below 400. Pens and flat work are different.

You are right about PT acting like a mild curing agent on most CA. That discussion is probably somewhere as far back in our files 12 - 14 years ago..

Last edited:

bsshog40

I have seen radial hairlines in a ca finish. Usually caused by too thick of coat of ca or rough application, ie.. too course of paper towel. If caught early, they can be polished out.

Shock me

Out of curiosity- has anybody who has tried using the little plastic baggies that pen parts come in been unhappy and gone back to using paper towels? I switched a while back and love the fact that I use way less glue and have a better feel for how the finish is being applied.

Top Bottom