Barron in aluminum-Bronze alloy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Stick Rounder

Stick Rounder

Hello,

Here is my Barron in Aluminum-Bronze Alloy. Please tell me what you think.

Attachments

• ALBR4.jpg
    ALBR4.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,154
  • ALBR3.jpg
    ALBR3.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,134
  • ALBR2.jpg
    ALBR2.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,194
NO don't listen to Bruce, send it to me so I can claim it!!! It's extremely striking, well done in expertise mode!! I love the colors!

jttheclockman

Hello,

Here is my Barron in Aluminum-Bronze Alloy. Please tell me what you think.

Doug

Great job. Where did you get the material and what is it called or if it has a number??? How did you do the kit??? Did you glue in or is it drilled to kit size??? How did you turn it??? How did you finish it?? It looks like it has a mirror finish on it as opposed to a satin finish. Is it top coated. Thanks for the reply and for showing it.

Stick Rounder

How its made...

Doug

Great job. Where did you get the material and what is it called or if it has a number??? How did you do the kit??? Did you glue in or is it drilled to kit size??? How did you turn it??? How did you finish it?? It looks like it has a mirror finish on it as opposed to a satin finish. Is it top coated. Thanks for the reply and for showing it.

The rod was bought from www.speedymetals.com and is 3/4" CA 954 Aluminum Bronze. Much heavier than aluminum alone.
1_Rod_1.jpg

The rod was cut to length with my chop saw and drilled with cobalt bits. The pen tubes as it turned out where pressure fit into the holes.
1_Rod_2.jpg

And now the turning tool. I turned a closed end aluminum Cigar Pen last week with regular turning tools and after cutting this alloy and drilling I knew there was no way I could use regular tools. So I made a tool to hold CNC turning inserts, don't laugh... It is three pieces of 1/4" flat plate welded together with a slot in the end and a 3/4" steel bar welded to the tool.
1_Tool_1.jpg

1_Tool_2.jpg

1_Tool_3.jpg

The turning tool insert has a Micro-100 Carbide tip. Cuts through the alloy like butter. After turning the blanks were then wet sanded 150-12K. I used Nuvite two part finishing paste for the finish. Got some other rods in the mail and will be turning those in the next few days. Thanks for asking.

bad

Doug:
They say that mimicry is a form of flattery. Or something like that. Whatever. I'm planning on stealing your idea :). Unless you have any objections of course.
Thanks

jttheclockman

The rod was bought from www.speedymetals.com and is 3/4" CA 954 Aluminum Bronze. Much heavier than aluminum alone.
1_Rod_1.jpg

The rod was cut to length with my chop saw and drilled with cobalt bits. The pen tubes as it turned out where pressure fit into the holes.
1_Rod_2.jpg

And now the turning tool. I turned a closed end aluminum Cigar Pen last week with regular turning tools and after cutting this alloy and drilling I knew there was no way I could use regular tools. So I made a tool to hold CNC turning inserts, don't laugh... It is three pieces of 1/4" flat plate welded together with a slot in the end and a 3/4" steel bar welded to the tool.
1_Tool_1.jpg

1_Tool_2.jpg

1_Tool_3.jpg

The turning tool insert has a Micro-100 Carbide tip. Cuts through the alloy like butter. After turning the blanks were then wet sanded 150-12K. I used Nuvite two part finishing paste for the finish. Got some other rods in the mail and will be turning those in the next few days. Thanks for asking.

Doug excellent job. I hope to achieve something this worthy someday. I see you use cobalt drill bits Where can you get them in the odd ball sizes we use for our pens??? Are these the same bits you see in all the home centers or are they solid cobalt or a different material?? Thanks for the replys.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Big congrats on the cover shot Doug:biggrin: I'm glad your cool pen was chosen as I missed it somehow.

I'm esp intrigued about the tool you made though. I can understand the 3 plates and the slot, but I can't figure out how you held the bit in the slot:confused:

LOL:biggrin: I was pleased to see that your workbench looks JUST like mine normally does!!!!

Stick Rounder

Big congrats on the cover shot Doug:biggrin: I'm glad your cool pen was chosen as I missed it somehow.

I'm esp intrigued about the tool you made though. I can understand the 3 plates and the slot, but I can't figure out how you held the bit in the slot:confused:

LOL:biggrin: I was pleased to see that your workbench looks JUST like mine normally does!!!!

It is a pressure fit. I actually had to grind the bit down a hair. Since the bit is the first thing that heats up it doesn't move.

Top Bottom