Baron with Burl Bits & Pieces - Sky Blue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TonyL

TonyL

Sterling silver Baron with Exotic's Burl Bits and Pieces in Sky Blue.

Turned easily with a very sharp skew. Finished with 15 thin coats of medium EZ Bond CA (P2-10 accelerator) , then to 600 Abranet, followed by 4 buffing compounds (Tripoli, White Diamond, Caswell 6163, Caswell 6165. No wet sanding, no MM.

Attachments

• DSC00042.jpg
    DSC00042.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 231
  • DSC00043 (2).jpg
    DSC00043 (2).jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 194
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Thank you Jim. Would love for you to come down and turn some with me. I have a new lathe waiting for you (still in the box). :).

magpens

Lovely pen, Tony !!

I like the way you always give the "whole scoop":

Sterling silver Baron with Exotic's Burl Bits and Pieces in Sky Blue.

Turned easily with a very sharp skew. Finished with 15 thin coats of medium EZ Bond CA (P2-10 accelerator) , then to 600 Abranet, followed by 4 buffing compounds (Tripoli, White Diamond, Caswell 6163, Caswell 6165. No wet sanding, no MM.

Charlie69

Looks great! How do you think the buffing wheels and compounds compare to your usual finishing technique?

TonyL

Thank you.

Charlie, so far I have only used this process on 6 pens, and all 6 have been CA finished on wood or mixed materials (with a CA finish). As some may have read in my older posts, I don't like the idea of introducing water to a CA finish. No matter how well I sealed the ends, 2 of 10 barrels (approximately) with a CA finish would form a cloudy spot or two after damp (not even, wet sanding) with MM. I am sure many have 100% success rates wet sanding with MM on a CA finish, but I do not.

To answer your question more succinctly, so far I prefer it, but it's premature given the small population of pens and limited finishes (CA on wood or mixed materials). I am going to start using the buffers on very dark acrylics, PR, etc and see what happens. I also like the control that I have over the "cutting". I can use more or less compound, adjust the rpms, and pressure. This is nothing more than the Beall technique with two finer grades of polishing compounds (and these compounds were introduced to me by IAP members). It was funny. I called Mr. Beall last week - great guy BTW, to ask him about a linen buffing wheel..... he wanted to know why I use a 10x magnified loop to inspect my finish. He thought I may be too fussy :).

I still finish with at least the Meguiars 205 and Rejex - even though I can't see any scratches after using the wheels. Anyway...I hope this helps. When I have used this process on more materials and pens, I will publish it. However, many seem to achieve similar, if not better results doing what they do. Les Elm uses steel wool (which I tried). His finish is outstanding!

Have a great one!

Top Bottom