Band saw blade

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dieseldoc

Timberwolf blades are good blades and I use a few. My favorite blades are Lennox. https://www.lenoxtools.com/pages/lenox-lenox-bi-metal-band-saw-blades.aspx Guess you are planning on cutting metals.
JT:
I have been talking to Tom Davies VP of Timberwolf and have used his blades but they only have 1/4 and not 3/16 I. Bi-Metal blades. Have a Lenox blade coming which I going to give a try. What I need. Bi-metal for is to cut radius in my blanks that have G-10 infills. G-10 infills eat up a req blade and will not work. It seems the. G-10 fiberglass and epoxy after it cures is very abrasive and need a diamond blade for cutting or BI-Metal blade. I use diamond wheel on my Byrnes saw to cut infills, it cut the G-10 like butter.
Now turning a blank I use easy wood tools with round carbide cutter on a sheer mode. Interesting also for epoxy System Three T-88 has failed and now I use G-flex which is made for boat work and It has not failed. G-10 is a pain in the back side but it only.015 thick and is nice to use for three layer infill.

jttheclockman

You may need a carbide blade. but at 3/16" that may not be possible. I think 1/4" is smallest you can get. The only other possibility I can think of if you have a scrollsaw and use Jeweler's blades or they have diamond blades also. Good luck.

bmachin

Give Iturra Designs a call at (904) 642-2802. Ask for their catalog while you're at it. They are a great source for all things bandsaw. Unless things have changed recently, they do not have a web presence.

Bill

Dieseldoc

Give Iturra Designs a call at (904) 642-2802. Ask for their catalog while you're at it. They are a great source for all things bandsaw. Unless things have changed recently, they do not have a web presence.

Bill
Bill:Thanks I have been in contact with them, smallest width is 1/4. in Bi-metal.

How ever I found out that I can get a scroolsaw blade in BI-Metal and diamond wire that will cut metal and epoxy fiberglass. Got scrolsaw blades ordered both Bi-metal nd diamond wire.

MRDucks2

I believe you will find scroll saw is the way to go, as John mentioned. Anything with glass fibers in it is tough on blades. We (meaning I speak from experience) tend to forget that glass is, well, glass. I was once involved with designing a feed system for a gantry style robot to feed glass fiber from a spool to a gun which chopped it and mixed it with resin for coating forms for fiberglass tubs/showers.

The glass fiber off the spool would cut everything it touches. Except porcelain. A run to the farm store for some of the round porcelain fence insulators for corner posts on an electric fence and the problem was solved very economically. Love redneck engineering.

Dieseldoc

Testing with scroll saw and. Bi-metal blades failed due to the lack of finding a blade that would be used to cut small radius. Found a diamond blade but it was to thick leaving more of a void in the blank for the infills to fill.

Bottom line. G-10 and can be used when you cut large radius with the smallest. Bi-Metal band saw blade which is 1/4 inch.
G-10 material is so hard that it eats up any blade that is not diamond or Bi-metal, even with Bi-metal , blade life is short. so going to find other material for thin infills.

jttheclockman

Testing with scroll saw and. Bi-metal blades failed due to the lack of finding a blade that would be used to cut small radius. Found a diamond blade but it was to thick leaving more of a void in the blank for the infills to fill.

Bottom line. G-10 and can be used when you cut large radius with the smallest. Bi-Metal band saw blade which is 1/4 inch.
G-10 material is so hard that it eats up any blade that is not diamond or Bi-metal, even with Bi-metal , blade life is short. so going to find other material for thin infills.
My goodness there is a ton of materials. I could not understand why you want to use something that is so hard to cut. It will take its toll on your turning tools also. But who am I??

BigRob777

My blade of choice is carbide, though I would imagine I use my bandsaw differently than most (cutting pen blanks). I believe mine was from Timberwolves, 1" X 132".

Top Bottom