Back in the Shop....Finally

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TDahl

I decided to do a couple of warm-up Slimeline pen turnings since I have been out of the shop for a while.

The first pen is a simple segmented pen made from Maple and Cocobolo. I cut the segments out on the band saw using a shop made sled. I cut out a more exaggerated profile to make the pen a little more interesting. Before I moved to sanding and finishing, I applied a coat of thin CA to help minimize any bleed out from the Cocobolo on to the Maple. I then finished the pen with Gluboost applying 5 coats of both thin and medium CA.

The second pen is made of Redwood burl and is a Hybrid casting using Alumilite clear slow. I first stabilized the burl with Cactus Juice and left it under vacuum for 24+ hours, and then let it soak for another 48 hours. The 3 mica powder colors I used were Flamingo Pink, Misty Lavender, and Super Bronze. I have had several blowouts with Redwood burl in the past, so I took my time turning these blanks and applying several coats of thin CA throughout the turning process. I finished the pen using the same process as the first pen.

For my next project, I plan on doing some multi-color casting pours, and brushing up on my skew work. Stay tuned.

As always, questions, comments, and critiques are always welcome….

Attachments

• IMG_5065.jpg
    IMG_5065.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_5066.jpg
    IMG_5066.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_5522.jpg
    IMG_5522.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_5523.jpg
    IMG_5523.jpg