Australian birdseye lace sheoak

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CjG78

G'day!
Tried my first m14 triple lead timber pen with this magnificent piece. Fully lined with ebonite, section is ebonite and matte finished. Sanded timber to 800 and linseed oiled.
Wanted a natural looking pen with a simple profile.
Jowo #6 nib.
Thanks for looking

Attachments

• 20211222_122445.jpg
    20211222_122445.jpg
    511.8 KB · Views: 203
  • 20211222_122411.jpg
    20211222_122411.jpg
    566.3 KB · Views: 186
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

@CjG78

Oh . . WOW ! ! . .
That wood is so beautiful ! !

. . . especially after being turned by Casey into that fabulous pen ! ! !

Please tell me . . . how long does it take for the linseed oil to dry so that the pen can be handled ? . . Is it a good finish for all woods ?

jttheclockman

Mal I know Casey will probably give you his finishing technique but thought I would jump in with some help. Now if you are talking pure linseed oil (flaxseed oil) it takes about 2 weeks to fully cure. But with linseed oil and oily woods they can have a tendency to bleed oil because you really are not sealing the wood. Heat from your hands can make this happen and then your hands can smell. So it really is not a great finish for pens in my opinion. Now boiled linseed oils is a different player. It has driers in it and will take about 72 hours to cure. It does harden but again does not seal the wood. It is great for popping wood grains though but is usually top coated. As many have talked about over the years here they can use things like BLO and other finishes to give that wood feel. I like to use Danish oil because it basically is BLO but does have a small amount of poly in it for protection. You could buff it back to a pure satin look or leave that warm glow. I finish all my scrollsaw work basically with it. Easy to use because all you do is dip and wipe off excess and it too pops the grain as most oils do.

Casey nice job with the pen. Love the timber. Woods like that are always great to look at because they have character and Mother Nature's way of showing off.

CjG78

@CjG78

Oh . . WOW ! ! . .
That wood is so beautiful ! !

. . . especially after being turned by Casey into that fabulous pen ! ! !

Please tell me . . . how long does it take for the linseed oil to dry so that the pen can be handled ? . . Is it a good finish for all woods ?
Yeah mate John hit the nail on the head!
I used boiled linseed oil with added hardiners. We used to use it as a kid with our wooden cricket bats. Hardens well but over a few days. Polymerisation or something fancy like that.

howsitwork

Casey

that is outstanding mate!,

Also given me an idea to try Tung oil out on an open pored pen blank. Danish is good on Lignum vitae I've found , it also stops the faintly rancid smell of the Lignum ( might just. be me but not entirely pleasant )

CjG78

Casey

that is outstanding mate!,

Also given me an idea to try Tung oil out on an open pored pen blank. Danish is good on Lignum vitae I've found , it also stops the faintly rancid smell of the Lignum ( might just. be me but not entirely pleasant )
Thanks mate. Tung oil is excellent!
I love boiled linseed oil on open grain timbers. It has hardiners in it and dries really well.

KMCloonan

Beautiful pen. As mentioned yesterday on another post, you folks in Australia seem to have some really interesting timber. Maybe it's because your trees grow upside down? 🤣

Top Bottom