AUCTION???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Ed has informed me that we have FIVE - 217 yr old blanks --historically significant from Witz to award as a prize. Our concern is that if we make these part of a regular contest prize package they might go to someone who will, perhaps, not have the ability to fully capitalize on the significance of these pieces of wood (my attampt to diplomatically say, "they might screw them up and waste them"). Ed has proposed an auction like this one:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/show...hlight=auction

I like the idea. Now understand that we have not discussed who would run the auction. Having not discussed it yet I don't know if Ed is volunteering to run it or not. Why haven't we discussed you ask; because I just realized we hadn't discussed it as I sit here and type this. :rolleyes: It's his idea so he gets first crack if he wants it. If not, I'm sure I can either take care of it or get someone to take care of it. I think an auction migt generate a lot of excitement.

My questions are:
  • Anyone have any better ideas about how to handle these pieces of wood?
  • Anyone have any reservations about an auction?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
My only concern would be to check with witz and see if he's ok with it - it is his prize after all. If you write to him, Mike, and voice your argument the way you have above, I doubt it will be an issue - but I think it's wise to check.

Andrew

mbroberg

I'll hold off on that until I get more input. I'm not saying that it's not a good idea, but the other side of the issue would be that once he gives it to the IAP it is up to us how we award it.

Phunky_2003

Dan is pretty understanding and reasonable. I think he would even agree with just being a "Prize" they might not seek their full potential. If need be I can call Dan and find out if he has any problems with this.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'd be happy to do the auction, if you all agree.

I really enjoyed doing the auctions (we made several hundred on many of them) but they were kind of "phased out" because we make more money on raffles.

In this case, the wood will need the right buyer, but I think we have many such buyers in IAP.

Another advantage of the auction is it is the "way the IAP used to be". There was humor in the auction as well as good "bidding wars". When Eileen (Military lady-"higher up") bid, so did a few of the military guys--a great spirit of camaraderie and competition developed and friendships were formed.

You may be able to tell, I am not completely objective, here. I had fun, and I think the participants had fun and I got an occasional PM from members saying they enjoyed the "laugh" in their day.

Just a FWIW,
ed

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The blanks that we would use for this auction are NOT from "Historical Woods of America" (who has rules). These are donated by Dan Horowitz. www.herbieproject.org
This is the link he provided for more information.
He has donated five blanks, I also would like feedback--do we auction them as a group of 5, or two groups-3 and 2 or single items?

Hope this helps,

Ed

Last edited:

mbroberg

James, Please give him a, "Courtesy Call" and tell him out plans. See if he has any strong objections.

Chris, No rules that I know of.

Ed, Plan on doing it!!

This sounds like it will be a FUN event for the membership!!!!

Thanks for all of your input!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Please post when Dan has been contacted.

I agree we probably don't NEED his approval, but it is certainly a courtesy that is easy to extend to avoid any bad feelings.

Also, Mike, let me know your timeline, please. Usually, a Sunday noon through Tuesday night will bring the best results (highest traffic on IAP)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I would say singles. It gives more people a chance to get them.

Downside: it means the first auction will not go as high, knowing there will be more.

Upside: we may collect more in total, if we have 5 auctions than we will with one or two.

No opinion, just the considerations, as I see it.

Phunky_2003

I was out in the shop working on my entry for one of the challenges. I just put in call to Dan and got voice mail. Left message for him to call me. I will update when I hear from Dan.

Phunky_2003

I just got off the phone with Dan. He said to do whatever we thought was best. He has no problems with whatever is decided to be done. Figure out what we deem is best for raising funds for IAP.

mbroberg

OK My thought woud be to auction them in two groups on two consecutive Sundays. Ed, you are the expert, what do you think?

TomW

OK My thought woud be to auction them in two groups on two consecutive Sundays. Ed, you are the expert, what do you think?

I would suggest 3 auctions, 2, 2 and the last one by itself. Seems to me that would maximize $$...but what do i know...?

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I'm going to be the devils' advocate, and say that they might be better grouped together...

Having looked at the website, it seems that the wood isn't very striking...unless the pictures of the individual blanks have more 'pop' than the cutting boards on the website, then I'd say that a group of blanks would have better impact than single blanks...

As well, you can buy a cutting board from them for very little money, so anyone that visits the site to find out the history of the tree is likely to balk on spending a ton on an auction purchase.

Andrew

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

Looking at the calendar, I'd say this is the best option. (As for "expert", I have not done this in about two years, with a "different" group of members who enjoyed bantering with me--so I have no idea if the current members will "get it")

This can be done the 13-15, then repeated on 20-22. That way it will be finished before the end of the month when the contests and donation drawing all hit their crescendos.

Ok with everyone?????

Top Bottom