Anyone use a Byrnes Tablesaw with a Festool or Fein vacuum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David Moore

I am thinking of buying either a Fein or Festool vacuum. I am wondering if the 1 1/4-inch hose on the German vacuum will hook up to the 1 1/2-inch port on the Byrnes saw? Is it an inside vs. outside thing? I asked Jim B. and he didn't know but I'm guessing I am not the first person to want to do this...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

When I bought my Festool Domino I seriously thought about one of the Festool vacuums. The Festoll and Fein are both pretty quiet. Around 62db. Well the Domino is much more noisy than the vacuum so now the selling point of it being quiet was pretty much out the door. The Festool will turn on when I turn on the Domino, but heck for a few bucks I can rig up a switch to do that for me. Neither one has the volume that my over sized Craftsman monster vac has. Filters are cheap. My conclusion was I did not need to spend several hundred dollars for something that I could achieve with the equipment I already had since there was no benefit with the new equipment. At least for me.

David Moore

Good point when you are using noisy tools. On the other hand, the Byrnes saw is pretty quiet and of course for general clean-up it would be nice to be able to do it in the evening without waking up the neighborhood.

aggromere

I use a byrne saw. I dont have a dust collection system but my house does have a big powerful central vac. The unit is near my work bench and has a port in it for hooking up hoses to vacumn cars, etc. I can just stick the end of the hose into the opening to the byrne and it sucks the dust right out while im sawing. I'm sure that doesn't help but that's what i do.

jdmyers4

I used my Byrnes table saw for the first time last night. I hooked ti up to my Festool CT-22 and it worked very nicely. The saw made very smooth cuts.

I have the Oneida dust deputy (for festool) coupled to my festool vac. One gripe I have about getting the festool is that the $75 handle is an accessory item, and sold seperately. I did purchase one, and I'm glad I did. I didn't like the idea of pulling the unit around by the hose, or by tugging on the Dust Deputy that sits on top of it.

I also got the larger 1 1/2" festool hose (man, festool equipment is expensive! But then, the Byrnes TS isn't cheap either). I went to the hardware store and bought a 1 3/4" rubber coupler from the plumbing department for the hose-Byrnes interface.

I'm very pleased with the setup. Yeah, it's a very pricey way to go, not for everybody.

PenMan1

Despite the "hype" both are very POOR substitutes for a REAL dust collection system. I just wish I had my money back!

IMHO, the Ridgid 1670($99-HD) kicks both of these so called "dust collectors" butts...and I can (did) buy a mobile cyclone unit from ClearVue Cyclones that makes it perform like a REAL dust collector on steroids. I wouldn't again waste any more money on Fein or Festool....They are for magazine readers....not woodworkers.

I finally came to my senses, bought a Jet dust collector and am in the process of making it into a cyclone. No fuss, no muss, NO NOISE, No busting my arse emptying tiny cannisters.

Respectfully submitted.

David Moore

I got my Festool Midi today and as I sort of expected the hose went into the port on my Byrnes saw but the fit was so loose it wasn't too effective. I've ordered a Bosch part that I am hoping will make the hose fit more snugly. Guess I'll find out. My complaint about Festool is that that not even a small tool for the end of the hose is included with the unit. And my local Rockler store didn't have any, nor did they have the set in the systainer. I called my somewhat local Woodcraft and they too didn't have any of the tools. Both places offered to order them for me but I figured if I was going to have to order and wait I might as well use Amazon, which has free shipping to my house rather than having to make another trip to one of the stores.

rherrell

Despite the "hype" both are very POOR substitutes for a REAL dust collection system. I just wish I had my money back!

IMHO, the Ridgid 1670($99-HD) kicks both of these so called "dust collectors" butts...and I can (did) buy a mobile cyclone unit from ClearVue Cyclones that makes it perform like a REAL dust collector on steroids. I wouldn't again waste any more money on Fein or Festool....They are for magazine readers....not woodworkers.

I finally came to my senses, bought a Jet dust collector and am in the process of making it into a cyclone. No fuss, no muss, NO NOISE, No busting my arse emptying tiny cannisters.

Respectfully submitted.

Festool dust collectors are made for hand tools, they don't claim to work for stationary equipment and therefore should not be used for that purpose.

I use one for all my sanding and grinding when I make rocking chairs and if I didn't have it I would have to do all my grinding work outside. It's VERY good at what it does and mine is VERY quiet. The sander makes more noise than the collector so when I'm sanding I can't even hear it. Just my $.02:biggrin::wink:

Top Bottom