Anyone ever disassemble a full size majestic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

drise

A few years ago I made a couple of full size majestics. At the time I didn't know what a ca finish was so the pens have some sort of matte finish. I was thinking about disassembling and refinishing with ca. Problem is the majestic has the long black plastic piece that holds the cap to the tube and I am not so sure a punch would remove it. I think I tried to take one apart a while ago and that just made spare parts. Has anyone ever taken one of these apart?

Thanks
Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

I have one I'd like to refinish as well. Have historically had zero luck in removing the plastic threaded insert on other pens (Atrax). I'm thinking that one might be able to turn a wooden plug that is a snug fit inside the insert, then use a very close fitting punch (may have to make one) to gently drive out the insert. They have not survived my attempts to simply drive one out with a transfer punch--they are so thin and soft. Hopefully others have been more successful!

Michael

mrburls

The press from Penn State for disassembling and assembling pens works really well to get those plastic inserts out on both the full size pens and Jr. size pens.
I did about 20 of the higher end kits with this press. It gently and smoothly removes those inserts rather then trying to hold pen and hammer on a punch.
Keith

1shootist

I've disassembled a fullsize majestic and a junior. I used the appropriate sized punch and ever so gently used a hammer and pushed the black cartridge like pieces out. You must use a punch that fits around the edge of the part ,if its too small it'll slip into the part and you have another problem altogether...but absolutely it can be done. Light taps from the hammer only.
I forgot to mention, I have thick rubber like tubing I bought from a home improvement center that I slip the pen body in and I secure this in a vice.

1shootist

Adding this...I have one of the assorted punch sets from harbor freight that has about 12 different sizes of punchs.
The tubing I bought from an Atwoods, it's thick walled 3/4" clear tubing.
My 4" vice is secured to a workbench which is a must.

drise

The press from Penn State for disassembling and assembling pens works really well to get those plastic inserts out on both the full size pens and Jr. size pens.
I did about 20 of the higher end kits with this press. It gently and smoothly removes those inserts rather then trying to hold pen and hammer on a punch.
Keith
I have the penpress xl. Everytime i try to disassemble with it, the pen just slips in the clamp. Maybe i'm not tightening it enough. Always afraid i'll crush the blank. i'll try to find the one i ruined and give it a go.

Thanks

drise

Adding this...I have one of the assorted punch sets from harbor freight that has about 12 different sizes of punchs.
The tubing I bought from an Atwoods, it's thick walled 3/4" clear tubing.
My 4" vice is secured to a workbench which is a must.
i was trying to hold the pen and hitting it with a hammer. Vise sounds like a much better option. If the penpress doesn't work, i'll try the vise to hold it.

Thanks

drise

I have one I'd like to refinish as well. Have historically had zero luck in removing the plastic threaded insert on other pens (Atrax). I'm thinking that one might be able to turn a wooden plug that is a snug fit inside the insert, then use a very close fitting punch (may have to make one) to gently drive out the insert. They have not survived my attempts to simply drive one out with a transfer punch--they are so thin and soft. Hopefully others have been more successful!

Michael
When i tried the punch it seemed like there wasn't one that fit very well. I do have a lathe or two :eek: so I could make a punch from wood.Thats not as much fun as buying tools but it may work.:)

Thanks

1shootist

i was trying to hold the pen and hitting it with a hammer. Vise sounds like a much better option. If the penpress doesn't work, i'll try the vise to hold it.

Thanks
The first time I tried to take one apart freehand it was a failure,didn't work. But once I began securing my vice to the table it has worked everytime.
The thick tubing I use keeps the vice jaws from damaging the pen..I really tighten the vice jaws, tap with the hammer and if the pen moves in the tubing I tighten the vice maybe an 1/8th of a turn...just a little. Tap with the hammer again and if the pen moves again tighten a little more. I repeat this process til the pen no longer moves and I'll tap with the hammer with a little more effort now to try and push out the part..but not much , using this process I've taken apart more disasteous looking pens than I would care to admit to. Majestic and jr and many other pen types and sofar I've not damaged a one.

mrburls

I have the penpress xl. Everytime i try to disassemble with it, the pen just slips in the clamp. Maybe i'm not tightening it enough. Always afraid i'll crush the blank. i'll try to find the one i ruined and give it a go.

Thanks
Are you using the rubber piece of tube they give you with the press? And don't be afraid to clamp pen down tight or it will slip through.
Keith

TonyL

Keith

I never used it with that pen, but I have used it with others like it.

TonyL

Are you using the rubber piece of tube they give you with the press? And don't be afraid to clamp pen down tight or it will slip through.
Keith
Yes, you do risk crushing the blank even with the rubber tubing. Perhaps a different material will pose less of a risk.

1shootist

Here are a few pictures of what I use, the tubing is 3/4" ID & 1" OD.
I've found through trial and error a thicker tube allows you to clamp tighter on the vice jaws and hold a larger part of the pen.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20190530-181427_Photos.jpg
    SmartSelect_20190530-181427_Photos.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 123
  • SmartSelect_20190530-181242_Photos.jpg
    SmartSelect_20190530-181242_Photos.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 120
  • SmartSelect_20190530-181311_Photos.jpg
    SmartSelect_20190530-181311_Photos.jpg
    455.7 KB · Views: 121

ramaroodle

Keith
Agreed. I always used a DIY press and the PSI pliers for disassembly with the HF punch set but bought this because I sometimes cracked the finish when trying to grip them. Well worth the $50 IMHO. It even comes with it's own punch set.

jttheclockman

Whenever I assemble those type kits I put a touch of vaseline around that black parts and slides in nicely. Only had to disassemble one and hammer and punch worked well.

randyrls

All these ideas are good ones.
Drill a hole the size of the blank in a scrap of pen blank.
Cut clamp in half with a bandsaw or other narrow kerf saw.
Put clamp and blank in vise so clamp is above the black plastic piece.
Push out with a close fitting transfer punch. Gently tap on the blank until centerband comes out.
I had to do this recently after finding out all Baron pens are not created equal.

drise

Keith
I have a blank that I can practice on so I wont have to worry about crushing it. Thanks

drise

Well tried to take a spare majestic apart with the penpressxl. Was able to get the cap and clip off with no problems. The center assembly with the black piece was a different story. Could not tighten it down enough so it wouldn't slip. Did find it interesting that I could tighten it down so much it would deform the tube but when I loosened it, it would go back to round. I think I will try getting new silicone tube and also the thicker pvc tube and try again tomorrow.

1shootist

Well tried to take a spare majestic apart with the penpressxl. Was able to get the cap and clip off with no problems. The center assembly with the black piece was a different story. Could not tighten it down enough so it wouldn't slip. Did find it interesting that I could tighten it down so much it would deform the tube but when I loosened it, it would go back to round. I think I will try getting new silicone tube and also the thicker pvc tube and try again tomorrow.
I had to disassemble another of my glorious creations and thought about this post..were you able to remove it once you got thicker tubing ?

drise

I had to disassemble another of my glorious creations and thought about this post..were you able to remove it once you got thicker tubing ?
Been so busy haven't had a chance to look for tubing yet. Since I was just going to refinish the pen, if I can't get it apart I'm thinking I can leave the center ring in cover it with masking tape and put it between two centers and finish it that way. Have some new Gluboost I want to try.

tonylumps

Yes I have done one using the Pen state Disasembly press I used a piece of paper towel rolled to fit in the pen.Pushed it in with a thin punch .Than the largest punch that would fit.Using the rubber gripper and tighten it down real good and push real slow and it will pop out Do not be in a hurry It will go when it is ready.That pen press saved me a lot of money on my mistakes

Top Bottom