Anyone been to Cuba?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Being an international forum, I was wondering if any of you non-yanks have been to Cuba.

My wife and I would like to go somewhere for a honeymoon...we've been saving up for a year and a half, and don't have much at all - but Cuba seems rather cheap, and I really like the idea of a place with history; besides, if you wait until you can afford a trip, you'll never go, eh?

Varadero looks rather busy, however, and we would just like a quiet little beach with very few people. Is that possible in Cuba?

Andrew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

I went a bit over a dozen years ago. I spent 2 weeks in a hotel built when the Soviets where there, along Playa Ancon in the Trinidad area, Province of Sancti Spiritus. It is about the middle of the country on the southern side. The beach was over 4 K long :cool: and only had 2 hotels on it at the time with a third being constructed. I would imagine there are some more now. :wink: Lots of Canadians, Europeans, (mostly Germans), some South and Central Americans, and even a group of American Students. Beautiful place, nice people, with great history and architecture.

I'm thinking of going back in a year or two to see some more of the country. There are lots of destinations besides Varadaro with direct flights from Toronto. Go to the book store and get one of the travel/guide books and you'll find a place that will be perfect for your honeymoon. :) :)

Pete

scotian12

Hi Andrew...A lot of people from Nova Scotia go to Cuba because of the low cost and great climate. Cuba does nor have a lot of high end resorts so you may be looking at 3 star and 4 star hotels but it keeps the cost down. Don't go for a low end hotel/motel complex as its too cheap. The resorts normally have 3-4 restaurants but again don't expect anything too fancy...they serve a lot of fish. For fun its basically the beach and walking on the beach. There are day trips into Havana . Cuba is a poor country and they don't have a lot of infrastructure. The cars you see on the streets are from the 1950's.I assume you will be going on the Ontario March break so it will be busy there but you will enjoy Cuba and you will have fun. The Cuban people that you will meet at the resort and around the Island are very nice. To thank the people that make up your hotel room take along some toilet sundries as they appreciate the small luxuries that are not available in their economy. Have Fun Darrell Eisner in Halifax, Nova Scotia

bbarter

spent 8 days in cayo coco last year quite, fun, beautiful and best of all no locals live on the island of cayo coco. cuba is super safe and i did travel off the resort many times. I stayed at the blau colonial for under 1000 per person. there was a reef just 20 feet off the resort and tons of ammenites avalable. food was fantastic people were even greater. hope this helps

A good friend of mine here in the Toronto area spends his Christmas there every year now for the last 8 years.

Ditto what was said about the people, food and accommodations, he said it's a paradise!

Curly

Bet if there were no governments, we would all get along.

Man, you blockade them one time and they never let you back. Whats up with that?:biggrin:

While there may not be a navel blockade you still have economic ones up, to the extent of trying to go after Canadian companies that are involved with them. Pull those down and I bet you would be forgiven and welcomed even :highfive: :drink: :biggrin:. But everyone knows your government and big businesses would mess with them so perhaps for now it might be best to leave things as they are. :rolleyes: After all, you wouldn't want them to flood your market with quality cigars and rum at unbelievably low prices. :eek:

Pete

Gofer

Andrew,

I was in Cuba last June and it was great. We went to the Barcelo Cayo Santa Maria resort. I would definitely recommend it if you are going slightly off season. The beaches were incredible and the staff were fantastic.

Bruce

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Thanks to all for the help. We still haven't picked anything, but the prices have gone up a lot since we started looking, and it's a bit out of our price-range now. We'll keep checking the deals, but I doubt we'll be able to afford the ticket.

Thanks for the advice nonetheless.

ctubbs

Andrew, you can always come to Cuba, Kentucky. The hotel does not exist but there are tents, the beach is a sand pile at the gravel pit. Of course while you are enjoying the 'beautiful' scenery, you can visit such exotic places as Possumtrot and Podunk. Yes, Andrew, they are real.
While here in good ol' KY you can still travel the world by going to such places as Hartford, Paris, Moscow and Mexico along with many other renowned locations. Oh, yes, we here in Ky are blessed with all the exotic places without ever leaving the boundaries of the Commonwealth.
For you it may seem warm now here but Spring has not sprung, yet.
Sorry to hear of your price gouging problem. Maybe you will have better luck later.
Charles

Lulanrt

For history and culture it's at the top of my list I have heard great things about it. There are a lot of locals that rent beds in their houses and they cook for you that sort of thing.

Top Bottom