Another Steebar Victim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

reddwil

Its hard to read every post on here, but it probably would save me a lot of trouble. Been playing heck trying to get Steebar to fix an order.. The good thing is I'm technically not out anything. They sent the wrong plating on some euros. After reading about all the trouble folks on here have had, think I'll steer clear.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

My experience with Steebar is that dealing with them is not worth the aggravation.

If you can live with what you got, then just treat this as a lesson learned, relatively painlessly. If you don't want what you got, return it and then file a claim with your CC company and let them deal with the headache.

Just a word to the wise from someone who is much wiser after several bad experiences!!

Randy_

Jim: How do you know they are on back-order?? Were you able to call them or send them an email or did they notify you in some other fashion?

Most people just never hear from them until the items show up or they get tired of waiting and make a claim with their CC company.

sparhawk

Do ant of you know why steebars penmaking supplies and penmaking supplies .com(which is also steebar) are in the members submitted links on this site after all the trouble people have had with them? Was just looking at all the different stuff on the site the other night and when checking the links found them.Penmaking .com looks like a different site but actually brings you back to steebar:(

Randy_

The obvious answer is because some member posted their link.

Until the last couple of years, the company actually had a pretty good reputation; but after the original owner/founder passed away, Steebar quickly went downhill under the direction of the current ownership.

OldWrangler

If you gotta deal with Steelbar, do so through Paypal. They will take up the fight for you and they are pretty good at getting results.
Best just to avoid people like that and spread their bad reputation with others.

reddwil

Well after 3 days of not answering there phone, I emailed them again and pretty much detailed what I thought of them. Even attached the New Jersey BBB, report on them. Just in case they needed reminding.

Randy_

Steebar does not take PayPal or, at least, I didn't see any place omn their web site where it was possible to pay by PP.

There is absolutely no reason to deal with these crooks(unless the owner is your cousin and maybe not even then). There are many other vendors who sell the same pen supplies for lower prices and with much better customer service.

Originally posted by Randy_

The obvious answer is because some member posted their link.font=Comic Sans MS]

If you (not you specifically Randy, because you already have) go to the member submitted links and rate the link, and maybe leave a comment. People will know what to expect from this company.

Randy_

Interesting, Andrew!! I checked the BBB site about a week orf 2 ago and there were 14 complaints so there has been a big jump in just a short time.

For those who didn't notice the details, of the 19 complaints, only four were resolved and the others were ignored by Steebar. Looks like they don't treat the BBB much better than they treat their own customers. They pretty much ignore everyone.

I am still in hpopes that someone will lodge a complaint with the NJS Attorney General's office. I bet Steebar won't ignore an inquiry from that office!!!:(:(

Texatdurango

Having a link to Penmaking Supplies(dot)com in the members submitted links area only invites new members to fall prey to these people and should be removed entirely, not just add negative comments.

I think most members who do visit this list, just go down the list opening one link after another without going to the trouble of reading members comments (that's exactly what I did last year). To them, this is just one more link to open even though it only has one star, it IS a star!

I think it highly doubtful that even after reading some posts about Steebar that they would make the connection between the two companies.

So..... unless these people at Penmaking Supplies(dot)com are huge supporters of the IAP, I see no reason not to just remove their listing which basically is "free advertising" for them!

If the forum powers do not agree that removing the link is in the best interest of the members, how about replacing the "Star rating" with a few of these :(:(:( to hopefully alert new members of the companies real status?

I am sending a note to the moderator about this thread in hopes that the forum powers will act on the suggestion.

Randy_

George: Sometimes, people are their own worst enemies!! And despite ones best intents, you can't always protect everyone from making mistakes if they aren't willing to utilize the information that is available.

I agree that even having one star is potentially a little misleading for folks who only take the most casual of notice; but it seems to me that folks who ignore the comments have no one to blame but themselves. Caveat emptor.....let the buyer beware!!

The IAP software is limited in what it can do to show ratings of vendors and there is also the issue of liability of the forum, itself, if it opines on the quality of a specific web site or vendor as opposed to simply reporting the opinions of its members.

I suspect that Jeff and the mods are well aware of this thread and the Steebar issue in general and have done what they consider to be appropriate under the circumstances. OTOH, it certainly doesn't hurt to notify the mods and have them rethink the issue in case a second look at the problem develops new ways to deal with the issue.

So..... unless these people at Penmaking Supplies(dot)com are huge supporters of the IAP, I see no reason not to just remove their listing which basically is "free advertising" for them!

And finally, I find the above comment totally inappropriate as it implies that Jeff, the mods, and IAP in general would allow a company of questionable character to "use" the IAP forum simply because they were "big supporters" of the forum. I have much higher regard for Jeff and the mods to ever think that IAP could be "bought". In fact, one could interpret your statement to suggest that "YOU" would be OK with Steebar advertising here if they contributed enough to IAP. Is that what you really meant to say?

Texatdurango

Originally posted by Randy_

..... And finally, I find the above comment totally inappropriate as it implies that Jeff, the mods, and IAP in general would allow a company of questionable character to "use" the IAP forum simply because they were "big supporters" of the forum. I have much higher regard for Jeff and the mods to ever think that IAP could be "bought". In fact, one could interpret your statement to suggest that "YOU" would be OK with Steebar advertising here if they contributed enough to IAP. Is that what you really meant to say?

You know what Randy, I'm getting sick and tired of every time someone posts something, this time it's me, that you disagree with, you feel you have an obligation and the right to go over the edge and launch a personal attack on them and bash them just because you know you can get away with it.

If I say something that you disagree with, FINE, disagree all you want but DO NOT put words into my mouth, DO NOT twist my words around to make them sound the way you want, DO NOT insinuate and try to guess what you THINK I am saying, because you are so far off base it's pathetic!

Not everyone sits around and takes time to analyze ten different ways their every word to make sure the audience will perceive their intent the way they intended before hitting the submit button. I made a harmless comment which was not meant in any way to disparage anyone on IAP and I think you really knew that but saw this as just another opportunity to get on your "Right Fighting" bandwagon and start in on yet another forum member.

I've noticed that you have a real knack for taking what someone says and twisting it around to make a big deal over nothing. You also seem to take a great deal of pleasure in correcting or belittling others. Well, you're not going to suck me into one of your little debates/arguments over what amounts to nothing so respond in whatever font size and color you deem appropriate, call me whatever you choose, make whatever accusations you want, paint me out to be some sort of anti-IAP villain.... I could care less! Just don't look for any further replies; I have better things to do!

Many forums have features allowing one to block contents of individual posters so you wouldn’t see any of their posts, I wish this forum had that feature.

jcollazo

Guys... I've seen too threads on this forum get ugly simply because the thread has gone on too long. As much as we want to, we cannot do anything about this problem other than having the the "victims" contact the appropriate authorities.

The "enemy" here is Steebar! Not IAP, not each other, no one but Steebar. There is no sense in rehashing, analyzing, or attacking anyone. Guys ... LET IT GO! Mother's Day is coming and there are pens and doodads to be made.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Scott is right! The new forum software has the "ignore user" feature and I expect it to be one of the most popular and heavily used features.

I locked this topic because it went needlessly into the weeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom