Another PR Quesion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lundebc

I have read through the threads, and the library before I attempted my first cast. I bought some PR at Michaels 2-3 months ago, and stored it on the shelf in my pantry.

Tonight when I opened it (for the first time) it is much like a very thick jello - it that normal? Way too thick to pour. If so, can I just soak the container in hot water to thin it for pouring, or is it in a "No Good" state, and I should just get another can?

Thanks in advance for you replies.

Bruce
Katy, Tx

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dntrost

I am not an expert but would say it is a no go and recall seeing a similar post. I would try to return it. It must have been old before you bought it. I have had some for 6 months and it is still good!

lundebc

Thanks, I'll try to return, can't find my receipt, but I do have a 50% off coupon, so worst case I'll still give it a go tomorrow. Patience, Patience, Patience - I am running out again!

PR_Princess

Bruce, I know that pantries are typically cool, but it has been pretty hot in Texas.

PR can thicken and even set up on it's own when exposed to higher temps for prolonged periods. If this is your first attempt at casting, I would definitely start off with some fresh resin. You don't need other issues in the mix.

its_virgil

Normal: No. It should be more like honey or thick pancake syrup. Unfortunately, it has started to cure. Actually, the PR we use is prepromoted, which means that catalyst has already been added so that we need only add a little more to get the reaction going strong. For this reason, PR has a shelf life of 6 mos(according to the industry literature I;ve read) from the time of manufacture, not from when it was purchased by the consumer. I've had a can or two that were good for over a year and I;ve had a can or two that hardened in the can or jelled too thick to use. There is no way to know how long that can was on the shelf at Michaels before you bought it. That is one reason I've never purchased from these types of stores but get PR from the resin dealers. Chances are it will be fresher.

Do a good turn daily!
don

I have read through the threads, and the library before I attempted my first cast. I bought some PR at Michaels 2-3 months ago, and stored it on the shelf in my pantry.

Tonight when I opened it (for the first time) it is much like a very thick jello - it that normal? Way too thick to pour. If so, can I just soak the container in hot water to thin it for pouring, or is it in a "No Good" state, and I should just get another can?

Thanks in advance for you replies.

Bruce
Katy, Tx

lundebc

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I took it back to Michaels, even explainted it has been 2-3 months in the pantry and no receipt, they exchanged it, no problem.

I have made my first cast (my wife is down one plastic butter dish!) because I could not wait to build a mold or wait for the mold I ordered. It looks fairly good, and cut fine on the bandsaw. I should have a picture to post afer a while. Going out to drill and attempt to turn it. It is 99 outside, so I guess the workshop will be 100+.

Bruce,
Katy Tx

Last edited:

lundebc

Well, I did not cast anthing I would sell, but I feel like it is a good start! The cast was done in a couple of steps. I took the PR and mixed it with Acrylic paint to get my colors, then applied the catalyst. After doing each color and pouring them into strips on a piece of glass, (seperated by aliminum strips) I gave them some time to start getting a bit hard (more that gooey, but not hard), then I mixed up the batch of white, and peeled the strips off of the glass and dropped them into the butter dish with the white.

The results are not great, with the Red becoming a bit orange, and it appears lots of bubbles. I will now go re-read all the suggestions/papers in the library!

Here are a couple of links to show my initial results. Comments are welcomed!

http://lundespens.com/images/P7250528.JPG

http://lundespens.com/images/P7250529.JPG

http://lundespens.com/images/P7250530.JPG

Bruce,

Katy, Tx

Last edited:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
you're off to a good start!

I'm not sure which paints work, but if there's water in them, it will cause the resin
to bubble.

Nice work on the color strips .. adds a bit of eye candy to the blank.

lundebc

Hi All, Need some advice! You may remember my first try at casting, and now I have tried again after reading all the materials on Casting PR. My second try is much better in terms of 0 air bubbles (Thanks for all the feedback after round one!). This try is a translucent blue with glitter mixed in. Happy except for the ends, where the material is thinner. The ends have seemingly seperated from the tube. and seem foggy, although they shine on the outside. Any and all comments are welcome!

http://lundespens.com/images/P8180658.JPG
http://lundespens.com/images/P8180659.JPG
http://lundespens.com/images/P8180660.JPG
http://lundespens.com/images/P8180661.JPG

Bruce, Katy Texas

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Are these cast with tubes in them already? Or are the tubes glued in after drilling?
From what I can see (and remember.. these eyes ain't that great!) it looks like
a separation, as you said. If you cast with the tubes in place, it could be from
turning them too soon. The resin could still be flexible.

If you drilled them out and glued in tubes, it is possible
that the glue let go (what type are you using?) or that there wasn't sufficient
coverage inside the tube. The lighter area could be air space behind the resin.

You might be able to stand the blank on end and drizzle in some thin CA.If you
fill that gap, it should fix the color. Make sure you block the inside of the tubes
in some way, otherwise you'll have a new problem of removing the glue!

ok, that's my guess.. Looking good, though! Nice sparkle.

lundebc

Hi,

These are my first casts (in your molds) with the tubes in the mold. I let them cure for 24 hours, so I will let the second one cure a couple days longer and then give it a try. Your resin saver molds are great, I believe I used less than 1 oz to make thes two Wall Street II bodies!!! And for anyone else - these molds are excellent - these popped out with zero effort, and the bodys we perfect. Bwtween the no bubble discussion if "its virgil and the New London molds - it is hard to screw up (except perhaps by getting to excited and turning to soon!

Regards,

Bruce, Katy Texas

Top Bottom