Another Polymer Clay Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KMCloonan

KMCloonan

I used prefabricated Canes from PSI for this pen. Basically, I rolled out a thin mat of neutral Gray clay, pressed the tube-specific "cookie Cutter" into the clay to give me the outline I needed to stay within, then sliced thin slices of a flower cane and a leaf cane, then laid them inside the outlined shape. Once I had the space covered, I used a roller over wax paper to smooth out the sheet to a single thickness. This step of the process always stretches the shapes you lay down - I guess there's a learning curve for how much or how little to flatten/stretch the clay.

Anyway, once the clay was smooth and flat, I cut out the rectangle, rolled it onto a tube worked to hide the seam, then cooked it in the toaster oven at 275F for about 20 minutes. After it cooled I started to turn it, but the clay felt too soft, (even though it had cooled from the oven), so I doused it in CA, which made it harder, and then it turned pretty well. Then multiple coats of CA and micromesh, then polish with Meguiar's plastic polish

I do feel that this was almost too simple. Although it looks ok, it's really just some clay slices smooshed together and flattened. There was really no artistry or skill involved. (Not like Toni's pens which are works of art). But it's all part of a learning curve.

004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Cool Pen. I really appreciate following your adventure in poly clay. I haven't made the leap yet, but I have been accumulating some support stuff, like a pasta roller, toaster oven, etc. We have a local Hobby Lobby that stocks quite a variety of the Sculpey brand of clay. And of course I've been looking at a bunch of online videos on how people make their custom canes. Thanks again for posting. - Dave

KMCloonan

Cool Pen. I really appreciate following your adventure in poly clay. I haven't made the leap yet, but I have been accumulating some support stuff, like a pasta roller, toaster oven, etc. We have a local Hobby Lobby that stocks quite a variety of the Sculpey brand of clay. And of course I've been looking at a bunch of online videos on how people make their custom canes. Thanks again for posting. - Dave
David, you're only about 1 week behind me :).

Last night I received feedback on Etsy where I listed one of my clay pens. The person suggested making a similar pen using white, and light blue to simulate the Salt Pools they have in Turkey. I had never seen a salt pool, so I google searched it, and was instantly struck with how simple it would be to adapt my black & white polymer clay pen to a White & Blue design. The possibilities are unlimited. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Joebobber

When my wife messed with the clay I noticed how even if you made a mistake the final product comes out neat anyway. It DEFINITELY is an artform in itself. I don't know how many you have done, but this 1 really came out very nicely done.

sorcerertd

I think you're onto something. This looks great. It would take a looong time and a lot of work to catch up to Toni's skills, but this is still pretty artistic.

My only critique would be the seam. You have to figure out how to make it look seamless before I start doing these so you can tell me how. ;)

KMCloonan

I think you're onto something. This looks great. It would take a looong time and a lot of work to catch up to Toni's skills, but this is still pretty artistic.

My only critique would be the seam. You have to figure out how to make it look seamless before I start doing these so you can tell me how. ;)
LOL. I completely agree the seam on this pen is an eyesore. My initial thought was "That's what pen clips are for", but I really do need to work on blending in the seam so I don't always have to hide it. Lord knows I have enough other boo boos to cover. šŸ˜

sorcerertd

LOL. I completely agree the seam on this pen is an eyesore. My initial thought was "That's what pen clips are for", but I really do need to work on blending in the seam so I don't always have to hide it. Lord knows I have enough other boo boos to cover. šŸ˜
IDK about an eyesore, but it was noticeable to me. It blends fairly well where the leaves are. Of course, pictures here are larger than life, so a lot is more noticeable in them.

Top Bottom