Segmenting Another new jig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I seen this style blank posted here a few days ago , if I knew how to link it I would , but I don't. Anyways, I can't take credit for the design, but I can take credit for the jig. I wanted to make the jig a little more"elaborate" and more adaptable than the one I seen, what I came up with works great. I think these first two prototypes are a little too long, but I can shorten that up easily. I'm letting the glue dry on these and I'm just going to turn them round, to see what they look like. I'm planning on enlisting my wife to help make a little video of how my jig works. Not sure though if you can upload videos here. If not, I'll take some pictures.
IMG_1613.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

That is pretty cool. heck I already have the circle cutting jig made I could make the other part easily enough. Another cool idea. Keep them coming. I too will watch the cool ideas you come up with these.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Very cool and also beautifully made.
Do you think it may help with re-gluing alignment if you didn't completely cut through at the end of each cut?

KenB259

Well guys this may not be as cool as I envisioned. The design splits into two , badly proportioned Celtic knots. At least this one did, that I figured was too long. The one I'm making in the video, I shortened the radius up considerably. I'll see how that one turns out. Here's the first , turned to just over .500.
IMG_1620.JPG

magpens

Ken, thanks for sharing ... I am having a lot of fun following your "newscasts" !!

You are certainly making good use of your "social isolation time" !! :)

KenB259

The ones I cut with a much smaller radius turned out like an elongated Celtic knot. This one I like so I guess the jigs a keeper. I forgot to take pictures before I turned the last one, so the pic I have is the opposite blank, cut the same radius. I was not picturing this in my head when I started. This last one is turned down to the GT Knurl diameter. These will work on long wood pens, like the Knurl or a Corona, anything with a 3 inch barrel.
IMG_1626.JPG
IMG_1625.JPG

jttheclockman

It does not have to be a knot. Just another design. Do not like the glued up center portions. Even if you put some material in there not a good look in my eye. These are somewhat like making scallops in a sense. Many ideas can come from that simple jig.

dogrunner

The ones I cut with a much smaller radius turned out like an elongated Celtic knot. This one I like so I guess the jigs a keeper. I forgot to take pictures before I turned the last one, so the pic I have is the opposite blank, cut the same radius. I was not picturing this in my head when I started. This last one is turned down to the GT Knurl diameter. These will work on long wood pens, like the Knurl or a Corona, anything with a 3 inch barrel. View attachment 235908View attachment 235909

I like this one

KenB259

It does not have to be a knot. Just another design. Do not like the glued up center portions. Even if you put some material in there not a good look in my eye. These are somewhat like making scallops in a sense. Many ideas can come from that simple jig.

I don't like that one either. Only way that one might work is in a seperation between a two barrel pen.

Last edited:

KenB259

Ken I really like the one with the red strips. A keeper in my book for sure.
May I ask what the red material is.
Thanks

That red material is red vulcanized paper. I get it at USA Knifemaker, also available on Amazon. It's available in different colors. It's just resin impregnated paper and it so happens that it matches my bandsaw kerf perfectly. Another name for is fishpaper. Electricians use it sometimes as insulating material, so I've been told.

Dale Parrott

That red material is red vulcanized paper. I get it at USA Knifemaker, also available on Amazon. It's available in different colors. It's just resin impregnated paper and it so happens that it matches my bandsaw kerf perfectly. Another name for is fishpaper. Electricians use it sometimes as insulating material, so I've been told.

Thank you. I think I may have some that was purchased for another project.

bmundy

Kudos...... brilliant!! Am I the only one, and is it weird that one of the things I enjoy the most in the shop are making jigs to make the work easier and safer.

KenB259

Nope I love making jigs too. By the way this is a pretty old thread.
Kudos...... brilliant!! Am I the only one, and is it weird that one of the things I enjoy the most in the shop are making jigs to make the work easier and safe.

KenB259

N
I'm new to the group so I've been searching around taking a look at what's out there. I stumbled across your name quite a bit.
No problem, sometimes people don't realize they are responding to an old thread. That being said, there's a lot of wisdom in some old threads.

Top Bottom