Another knife

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from arjudy

arjudy

This is a different kit, also from Northcoast Knives. It is called the Mantis. Again I fashioned my own scales this time from Leopard wood. :):):)

Attachments

• Leopardwood knife1.jpg
    Leopardwood knife1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 162
  • Leopardwood knife2.jpg
    Leopardwood knife2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 153
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Very cool. I may have put the more 'spotted' slab on the side without the clip though. How's the quality of the kit?

arjudy

Very cool. I may have put the more 'spotted' slab on the side without the clip though. How's the quality of the kit?

Actually both sides are equally spotted. The flash of the camera washed out the spots on the one side.

Keith,
This kit took me about 2 hours to complete. The knife comes assembled and I removed the blade for safety's sake while I was working on it. I just took some wood and marked the curve onto the wood with the included scales and then shaped the wood to fit into the curved bolster part of the knife. Once I was satisfied with the fit I then marked the screw holes on the scales and drilled them. I used a oscillating spindle sander to shape the scales to the liners and then used a random orbital palm sander to give the scales there final shape. Sanded to 400 grit and finished with friction polish. I did not want a gloss surface on this one so I applied the friction polish, let it dry and then buffed it out by hand. I then applied some TSW and buffed it out again. The quality of the kits is very good. Only time will tell how well the blade holds its edge. The previous knife that I crafted was made of AUS8 steel. My father-in-law is a metallurgist by profession and he said that was pretty good material to make blades from.

Skye

I bet the hardest part is getting a good edge on the blade if it's not already sharpened. Other than that, I think all you have to do is carve the handles and press (or screw) the pins in.

Top Bottom