Another Bowl From A Board

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

This was a piece of cedar that I had got from a burn pile at the local sawmill about ten years ago . It was just a short 4" wide board that I cut in half and glued back together to make it 8" diameter in a bookmarked grain fashion. I often had wondered what I would eventually make with that piece of wood.

Today I decided to do something with it so cut out some rings and glued them up and turned and sanded it on the lathe.

I was afraid the line down the middle would show up badly where I joined the two pieces together but my glue job was good enough that the glue line does not distract from it much at all .

Being cedar and turned very thin it feels like a feather in the hand. Certainly not something for any particular use except to sit it up on a shelf to look pretty . . . lol

Same bowl but rotated 180 degrees to show grain pattern in both directions.

CedarBowl1.jpg

CedarBowl2.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Bill - You never cease to amaze me. I love your work. Always thinking "How can I use this?", or "How can I do this?". I don't think I've ever seen cedar look so fine.

And don't let the lightness of the bowl influence you. You know how turners are - the thinner and lighter, the better.

truckerdave

Just a dumb question!
I would love to see more pics of the process. How you cut the board, how you put togther the pieces, how the "blank" looked glued up before it was turned......etc

Top Bottom