An other kitless prototype

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fred Bruche

Fred Bruche

Trying to make some progress in the kitless world, not fully satisfied with the result but I thought I would share anyway :)
I poured the blank with Liquid Diamonds resin, colored with mica powders a couple of weekends ago. The blanks almost came out as I envisioned from the outside but not quite once turned, some changes have already been implemented for the next series of blanks :) I used a "black" blank for the section that doesn't match the opacity of the black in the rest of the blank, another detail to fix for the next iteration.
Should I have made the section with the same blank as the body? Thoughts? I'm thinking a black nib would look better than a polished metal, I don't have one to try (yet). Nib is Jowo #6.
Threads are M13x0.8triple for the body/cap, M10x1 for the section to the body.
C&C welcome.

Attachments

• metalicFP-1.jpg
    metalicFP-1.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 263
  • MetalicFP-2.jpg
    MetalicFP-2.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 278
  • MetalicFP-3.jpg
    MetalicFP-3.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 224
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Outstanding Kitless Pen Fred.
Excellent Profile and Proportions.
I think the Black Section, is the ideal colour for this Pen, as there is a lot going on with the Colours of the body.
I also Like the Silver Nib, though I wouldn't mind a Gold One, which would play to the Autumnal Orange, and Red tones in the Body.
Superb Turning, I love the straight blend of the Cap to the Body, and their almost hidden Junction.
As you used a 13 mm Triple Start Thread for the Cap to the Body, what is the Finished O/D and Length of the Pen?
Love your Pen, and Craftsmanship.
Well Done,
Brian.

magpens

Great work, Fred !!! . I really like the coloration of the blank !! . And I like the solid black section ... beaut contrast !!

Fred Bruche

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.
Tim, I like the idea of a copper-colored section. I don't have such blank now but and I'll make one and give it a try!
Brian, it doesn't show well in the pictures but the pen is slightly tapered from top to bottom, upper cap diameter 15.5mm, cap/body junction at 15.1mm, 14.3mm at the body end, for a total length of about 12.5cm. I don't believe I could have made it significantly shorter, both the nib and the ink converter are very close to the inside ends.

Top Bottom