Amboyna Burl Pen Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

calhaujr

Hi!

Good day everyone!

Amboyna Burl
Dimensions: 1x1x5 3/4"
Air dried and ready to turn into spectacular pens.

Too many pictures to list. All are cut from the same block and contain eyes on all sides and are identical to what is pictured. I have 20 sets available, each set contains five blanks. $30 per set. Blanks will ship from the Philippines and normally take 10 business days to arrive in US/Canada via international Postal Mail. Please message me if you are purchasing from another country outside of the US/Canada for a more detailed shipping estimate. Payment through PayPal. Shipping is a flat $14. I can fit up to two sets of 5 for this price of shipping. Please kindly message me for any interest. I only have these dimensions available at this time.

Thank you!

Manuel

Attachments

• IMG_20190619_102857_065.jpg
    IMG_20190619_102857_065.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_20190619_102832_754.jpg
    IMG_20190619_102832_754.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 413
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

calhaujr

Here is a better image of 8 of the blanks so you can see the eyes

Attachments

• IMG_20190622_061238_371.jpg
    IMG_20190622_061238_371.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 234

Lucky2

I would like to purchase two sets also, it's beautiful looking wood. These will need to be shipped to Canada, I hope that there's no issues getting them here.

Len

calhaujr

Hi everyone,
I still have 5 sets available for a total of $150 and just $14 shipping. I will combine shipping if anyone would like the 5 sets. Otherwise it would be $30 per set $14 shipping or I can combine up to two sets for $14 shipping.
Thank you,

Manuel

indytruks138

Just as an FYI I have not received my blanks over a month later and 2 other members have sent me personal messages advising they also have not received any blanks. The member is not responding to messages. I have emailed him directly.

Larryreitz

Just as an FYI I have not received my blanks over a month later and 2 other members have sent me personal messages advising they also have not received any blanks. The member is not responding to messages. I have emailed him directly.

Same here! I would be careful. Shipping was supposed to take about 2 weeks. Since I got a bill from PayPal and have not received the blanks, I opened a dispute which may take up to 90 days to process. In the meantime, if the blanks show up I will be very happy to drop the dispute and pay the invoice. Fortunately PayPal is supposed to be one of the better option for payment when something like this happens. If in fact this is not a legit offer, and I sincerely hope it is, the more disputes registered would seem to help all of us.

Larry

hokie

Similar thing happened with another seller of Philippine ebony (which this guy tried to sell as well in another thread). I don't know what it is about Philippine ebony (and now amboyna) that seems to lead to shady circumstances. I posted about the little bit of research I did into the apparent scam(s) a few months ago. I wouldn't be surprised to hear some people finally do receive packages, but with low quality product, nothing at all like what is pictured. Last time folks expecting near perfect ebony as pictured got a bunch of sap wood and or cracked blanks. A few satisfied customers were sprinkled through the threads though, which I think they hope to leverage for a bit of legitimacy.

I personally no longer consider buying from new accounts selling blanks with a Philippine origin any more. Sadly, the pattern is getting to be too obvious.

indytruks138

Similar thing happened with another seller of Philippine ebony (which this guy tried to sell as well in another thread). I don't know what it is about Philippine ebony (and now amboyna) that seems to lead to shady circumstances. I posted about the little bit of research I did into the apparent scam(s) a few months ago. I wouldn't be surprised to hear some people finally do receive packages, but with low quality product, nothing at all like what is pictured. Last time folks expecting near perfect ebony as pictured got a bunch of sap wood and or cracked blanks. A few satisfied customers were sprinkled through the threads though, which I think they hope to leverage for a bit of legitimacy.

I personally no longer consider buying from new accounts selling blanks with a Philippine origin any more. Sadly, the pattern is getting to be too obvious.

I blame myself partially as I didn't even check that it was a brand new account.

hokie

I blame myself partially as I didn't even check that it was a brand new account.
No need to blame yourself on that. Unless you've been monitoring the For Sale threads for a long time, there's likley no way you would have even had a clue. I don't want to dismiss new accounts as being automatically unreliable because we all were new at some point, but the other red flags were only visible to someone like me who got caught up in it before. I got lucky during my own experience dealing with these guys and got a refund before needing to get PayPal involved.

Having said all that, I really do hope you get the blanks you ordered! That's a better outcome than just getting your money back...eventually.

wizard

Manuel,
Manuel, It's been a month and I have not received my blanks or heard from you, Could you please let me have an update. Thank you.

Lucky2

Wow, I sure am happy that I cancelled my order, but I hate that some of you have been burned. I hope that you all paid by using Pay-Pal, at least you can get your money back if you did. I don't know how a person would get their money back, if they paid by some other means.

Len

indytruks138

I filed my PayPal claim today. Sucks that people scam like this. Who has the time to scam woodworkers out of $35-$70. What a jerk.

wizard

No blanks. Gave up on those. Got my refund from PayPal. I hope everyone else does. It takes time but Pay Pal does refund you.
I feel grateful for that.

robutacion

You know, as an IAP member, supporter and vendor it saddens me reading these type of threads and I most strongly condemn this sort of behaviour and fraudulent intents, period.

I'm glad this guy has request Paypal payments, this allows buyers to make a claim and receive their money back so in essence what is the purpose of trying to scam people when they have to pay back...?

It anything else, these sort of situations puts a very bad taste in people's mouths and make it also very difficult for new genuine sellers to start selling here, I don't think that Jeff or anyone can "filter" these sort of people from being part of IAP, it's impossible to know people's intentions when they request to join in, is no one's fault, however, we all learn a few lessons and the first one is, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is, alarm bells should start ringing, with that said, this is not the first time and it won't be the last.

I hope that everybody gets their money back and put this experience as a tooth acne that got better over time.

Cheers
George

hokie

I don't think that Jeff or anyone can "filter" these sort of people from being part of IAP

I've seen other sites use algorithms of a sort that won't let you buy or sell on their platforms without things like accounts of a certain age, participation levels (number of posts, threads, reputation scores), or require moderator/admin review and approval of accounts wishing to buy/sell. I don't know if there is a sure fire approach, but those techniques may be better than nothing.

I think *something* ought to be done. This is like the third time someone selling Philippine wood has tried to swindle users here. They were brand new accounts whose first and only posts were to list their items and thank people for sending them money. I'm sure there are other examples. Those are just the ones I'm aware of. I don't think there should be a huge barrier to entry if someone relatively new wants to buy or sell, but at least establishing a modicum of trust would be nice.

penicillin

I wonder whether PayPal can recover their own money, or if this is effectively a scam to steal from PayPal as much as the victims. Money is money, and the thieves probably do not care who was victimized.

Top Bottom