Amazon customer profiling

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

I just noticed a trend on Amazon.

After deleting items on my wish list...Amazon puts extra discount on them in their "Today's Deals". It is for myself and labeled "Dario's Quick Picks" and occupies the lower half of the page. It also offers extra discounts (5%-20%) on various related products.

It is not for everything and may not be instant. The biggest catch...you have to buy the item in an hour to avail of the extra discount.

Did anyone notice something similar?

Maybe you can play their (profiling) game and take extra discount that way if you are buying anyway. :biggrin::wink:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Druid

Yes, the same thing happened on my book orders. I put them on my wish list and when I take them off I sometimes get a discount offer.

wood-of-1kind

I noticed a similar tactic being used by FUTURESHOP for goods that they sell . It's somewhat of a "baiting" game to entice you to make a purchase. They offer a feature for price notification (you set a target price) and you get an e-mail once that item(s) reaches "your" desired level. It can be a bit of a fun game as long as you don't make too many purchases and who knows, you may get the price that you can afford.

ldb2000

They do profile your viewing habits . I have had some good buys because I didn't buy right away . I kept watching for a sale and after awhile I stopped checking the prices and about a week later they advertized the product at a great sale price .

DocStram

I suspected this about three years ago when I bought my Deltat 46-715. After deciding on which lathe to purchase, I decided to take my time and keep checking online prices. Everyday, for about three straight weeks, the price on Amazon was $650.00 plus shipping. Then one afternoon, I went back to Amazon and there it was for $340.00 plus free shipping. I immediately jumped at the opportunity. Some of you might remember me talking about this and asking if others had the same experience.

Hey ... I just found the thread .....

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34521&highlight=Amazon

S

spiritwoodturner

I really wouldn't call that profiling, which is typically targeting a group based on ethnic or income segments. Profiling in housing, for example, is a Federal crime. I would call what Amazon is doing "Targeted Marketing", which is not only legal, it's darned smart, if not a bit annoying. And surely they must know that people like us are talking about it, so if one can wait, they lose margin, so this may not last forever.

Personally, I think the opportunity for fraud and criminal activity on FeeBay is infinitely higher than on Amazon, but that's another story.

Dale

DocStram

Cool,I am gonna add all kinds of goodies to my wish list and see if I can get a deal!

Yeah ...... I'm on my 47th day in a row of searching for a Ferrari F430 in Amazon. If my theory is correct, sooner or later I'm going to get one for under $2000.

Ferrai F430
Ferrai F430
Ferrai F430
Ferrai F430
Ferrai F430
Ferrai F430
Come on Amazon!

its_virgil

I've noticed this also. If I need something and can wait I just keep checking the Amazon price daily or more often. Most every item I was after came up on sale like Doc reported. Patience is sometimes not just a virture but gets rewarded.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I suspected this about three years ago when I bought my Deltat 46-715. After deciding on which lathe to purchase, I decided to take my time and keep checking online prices. Everyday, for about three straight weeks, the price on Amazon was $650.00 plus shipping. Then one afternoon, I went back to Amazon and there it was for $340.00 plus free shipping.

rdunn12

Yeah ...... I'm on my 47th day in a row of searching for a Ferrari F430 in Amazon. If my theory is correct, sooner or later I'm going to get one for under $2000.

Ferrai F430
Ferrai F430
Ferrai F430
Ferrai F430
Ferrai F430
Ferrai F430
Come on Amazon!

Well Doc,a Ferrari was'nt what I had in mind,I was thinking more along the lines of a Lamborghini.But hey if they offer a sweeeet deal I could settle for the Ferrari.:biggrin:

DocStram

Well Doc,a Ferrari was'nt what I had in mind,I was thinking more along the lines of a Lamborghini.But hey if they offer a sweeeet deal I could settle for the Ferrari.:biggrin:

Sorry ... I'm too busy to respond. I called in sick today so I could spend the day in Amazon entering "Ferrari F430".

Dario

Sorry ... I'm too busy to respond. I called in sick today so I could spend the day in Amazon entering "Ferrari F430".

I googled it and at a measly base price of $267,456 for 2008 Ferrari F430 Scuderia Coupe...it is bargain. Imagine, it comes with a TIRE KIT too!!! :eek: :rolleyes::biggrin:

rdunn12

WOW,it seems to be working.I put a Canon digital SLR camera on my wish list at $869.95.It is one of the kits that comes with the camera 2 lenses,a bag and so on.Went back today and checked now it is $859.95 not enough to make me buy it yet but it is moving in the right direction!:bananen_smilies051:

rdunn12

I googled it and at a measly base price of $267,456 for 2008 Ferrari F430 Scuderia Coupe...it is bargain. Imagine, it comes with a TIRE KIT too!!! :eek: :rolleyes::biggrin:

Shoot,for Doc that is pocket change!:biggrin:Bet he has that in an old cigar box next to his lathe for applying his ca finish.:biggrin:

DocStram

WOW,it seems to be working.I put a Canon digital SLR camera on my wish list at $869.95.It is one of the kits that comes with the camera 2 lenses,a bag and so on.Went back today and checked now it is $859.95 not enough to make me buy it yet but it is moving in the right direction!:bananen_smilies051:
Be patient Ronald and keep checking it daily. Let's see what happens in about six weeks.

bradbn4

I have also heard that clearing out your cookies will also cause better prices to be seen on some sites.

I waited about a year to pull the trigger when buying my powermatic lathe. A bit of over kill for pens - but then I put in a order for a 10x22 lathe to make my own bushings.

Top Bottom