Always mark your pieces or....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

make a rookie mistake, screw up several pieces and have go back to the store.

I found a design for a wood and metal coffee table I decided I liked and figured it would be a good project for my first time making something out of metal. Figured up the amount I needed and went to the metal place where you have to buy 20 foot lengths. I figure no problem It will leave extra in case I mess up. I cut everything to length because 20 feet of metal is a bear to maneuver (this was my first mistake. I did not leave any extra on each cut). Since I also had to do this on the floor of the shop my back was aching so I figured I would get up early this morning, go to the shop and miter.

I got to the shop this morning and started mitering.

Now for the rookie mistake I mitered all of the wrong parts. I mitered both sides of each table leg and there is not enough left over metal to replace all of them. If I cut off the miter, the table will be way too short. I have enough metal to replace three legs but not 4. Now I have to buy 20 feet just to use 18 inches. I'm feeling pretty stupid. Should have taken the time to mark my cuts. I haven't done something like this since 8th grade shop class. Screwing up one leg is one thing, and forgivable, but all 4?

If I get the right blade, assuming they exist, can I cut metal in my band saw? All I have to cut this with is an older than the hills chop saw.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glen r

Phone metal suppliers in your area and see if anyone will sell you a piece of what you need. Ask nicely - Many metal suppliers will cut a piece of what ever you need for the cost of the metal and a small charge for cutting.

Haynie

Phone metal suppliers in your area and see if anyone will sell you a piece of what you need. Ask nicely - Many metal suppliers will cut a piece of what ever you need for the cost of the metal and a small charge for cutting.

This is the only metal supply place and they act accordingly. Unfortunately.

PWL

Haynie
Any welding shops around? A lot of the time,they have odds and ends that might work.
Just a thought.

Paul

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Design a second project that will use about 16 feet (you will have 18' 6", but your track record says you will need a little extra:confused::confused: in case of measuring errors!!:frown::frown:)

Haynie

My measuring was perfect ed. It was the choice of piece to cut that was wrong, but yes, I will have lots extra to account for my questionable choices.

08K.80

Cut the three new legs and either weld or have welded, two of the other bad legs to make the fourth leg. Problem solved.:wink:

SteveG

I just had another idea (WARNING: This means I am in the danger zone, two ideas in one day). Combine the last three suggestions, do three metal legs and one wooden leg. Claim it was the plan all along. All out of ideas for today...check back tomorrow.
Steve

Top Bottom