Alternate to micromesh for arcylics?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dr_N

I've been kicking around the idea of going to novus polishes. But have some questions.

Do you folks use the novus at high or low speed?

Do you use it in the same manner for CA finishes as you do acrylics?

I see many mentions of novus 3 and novus 2. Does anyone use novus 1, or is that where most use PlastX.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

41 posts and no-one mentioned Zona Papers? These are ultra fine (30 micron to 1 micron) polishing papers made by 3M. They are specifically designed for acrylics of all types, polyurethane, solid surface composites, fiberglass, aluminum, precious metals, finished wood and other soft materials. They can be used with or without water.

Zona Paper is available on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/37-948-Polis...r&qid=1550505319&s=gateway&sr=8-1&tag=mh0b-20

To see how well they work, check out David Troutman's videos on FB and YT.

magpens

I've been kicking around the idea of going to novus polishes. But have some questions.

I see many mentions of novus 3 and novus 2. Does anyone use novus 1, or is that where most use PlastX.

I don't use Novus 1 because my supplier did not stock it when I first bought the other two. . I use PlastX instead.

Same method/manner for both acrylics and CA finishes.

Very low speed and only lengthwise rubbing. . I turn the lathe chuck by hand during this whole polishing process.

Dr_N

I don't use Novus 1 because my supplier did not stock it when I first bought the other two. . I use PlastX instead.

Same method/manner for both acrylics and CA finishes.

Very low speed and only lengthwise rubbing. . I turn the lathe chuck by hand during this whole polishing process.
Thanks Mal. I think I'll order some and give it a try. I've already got PlastX, so I'll follow your process.

Shock me

41 posts and no-one mentioned Zona Papers? These are ultra fine (30 micron to 1 micron) polishing papers made by 3M. They are specifically designed for acrylics of all types, polyurethane, solid surface composites, fiberglass, aluminum, precious metals, finished wood and other soft materials. They can be used with or without water.

Zona Paper is available on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/37-948-Polis...r&qid=1550505319&s=gateway&sr=8-1&tag=mh0b-20

To see how well they work, check out David Troutman's videos on FB and YT.

1 micron being roughly equivalent to 14,000 grit, do you use these in lieu of MM?

leehljp

Member Liaison
Any current thoughts, pro or con on using Zona paper? Thanks
"Shock Me above wrote the same question. Zona paper will be fine and I thought about ordering some. I use the 3M PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive) type plastic/acrylic backing and put strips on plate glass next to my lathe, and swipe my HSS tools on it about once a minute to keep the razor edge. Since most people are moving towards carbide inserts, that use is moot for them.

As to finishing, I have forgotten the correlation between Micro Mesh 3000, 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000, 12,000 and Zona. In the end it will come down to individual preferences and not a huge difference. There are automotive polishes that come is sets that have 5 micron, 3 micron, 1 micron and some with .5 or .3 micron polish. THAT is what does it. However, the stiffness of the backing will determine how well it is for light ovals and straight finishes versus cloth backed non-stiff. I don't know what stiffness the backings on the Zona papers are, but as to the GRIT, there will not be that much difference between equal grits on MM, or Zona or polishes.

Top Bottom