Aloha from Oahu

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

discdogs

Aloha, Howdy & Hello! :dog:

I'm Lynn currently living in Mililani, HI, but a native from the Great State of Iowa (I haven't lived there in 25 years, but still love HOME!). I have 2 dogs, one Border Collie pup who is 9.5 mos old and a 7 y/o BC/Collie mix. We do lots of dog training (and walking for the puppy). I love to scuba dive and now wood work. I work for the Corps of Engineers @ Schofield Barracks, HI, as a project engineer (Registered Civil Engineer) and manage construction projects.

This wood madness all started when I bought a $50 table & chairs that splintered my hands as I loaded in the back of my wagon in early October 2009. I went to the woodshop on Base to refinish the top of that table and now can't stay outta there. So far... I refinished the top of that table (probably hickory or maple); I made a box, based on the WoodSmith magazine (#185, Oct/Nov 2009); made a ukulele after someone said, "do you want to make a ukulele?" and...now I'm working on turning my first pen. I also have 2 more ukes cut and started and 3+ more planned out, but not cut yet.

I'm not afraid of raw wood! I have some mango logs and some monkeypod hanging out in my backyard. Both I got for "free"! Thank you craigslist!

My uncle [hilltopper46] turned me on to this site and he's a great resource, as are lots of you!:good: I've been reading about equipment, parts, casting, basics to advanced. Look forward to getting into this more and putting to use what I learn.

Lynn
Civil Engineer by schooling, retired by attitude.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Welcome from South Carolina, I'm a new member myself and like you I work to enjoy my hobbies also. I can only imagine the beautiful wood you have in your area.
Happy Turning

Len Shreck

Welcome to IAP Lynn From Pennsylvania. I would be more then happy to send you these teen temps for some of your warm weather. I also am fairly new to Pen Turning and I have figured out that the pens we make are very smart they know how to take the money right out of your pocket before you realize its gone. :biggrin::wink: I would love to see some pictures of some of your work so if you get a chance please show some. Thanks and Welcome again. Len from Pennsylvania.

gothycdesigns

Welcome Lynn. You'll learn a lot from this site. and frankly I can not think of any other sites as good as this for turning pens. Good Luck !!!

My family on my fathers side if from Hawaii, the area of Lihue. Names of Mukai, Akeo, and Kessinger and Tada. Sadly to say, I have yet to even go there.

discdogs

Here's the first pen I turned...finished tonight. Quilted Maple wood from WoodCraft ($$$), slimline kit from woodpenpro.com (-$) with a PPP/Hut Lite finish. Learned LOTS! Next one should go quicker and look better. :redface:

Here's a link to my ukulele building process (lots of pics...sorry haven't sorted thru them all yet).:embarrassed: http://www5.snapfish.com/thumbnails...otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Sending you all the weather we have tonight..about 57F in Mililani...pants and sweatshirt weather. brrr....(you have to also know that I've lived in Colorado on and off for over 13 years and Nebraska for over 8...I love the snow, not crazy about your teens and below weather...stay warm!)

Attachments

• Pen-1 (3).jpg
    Pen-1 (3).jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 181

Verne

Welcome from Houston, TX. Another Hawkeye that moved to warmer weather! And ain't missed one day of snow shoveling.
Vern

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Lynn to a great hobby. Post some picts of your work and join in the fun here.

Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/Acronyms.pdf

Top Bottom