Aligning my Jet mini - help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

My Jet 1014 has been slightly out of alignment for several years and I have lived with it. Now it is really on my nerves.

The points line up but at about 8" the mandrel runs true but the tailstock 60 degree center is out about 1/8". That doesn't sound like much but the area that is most affected is about 1 1/2" from the headstock - right where I do most of my pen work. (I put both barrels on the mandrel, work the headstock side, then switch the barrels - always working on the headstock side.) There is not much play in the tailstock, I can't move it side-to-side.

Any suggestions?

PLEASE DON'T SAY "SWITCH TO MANDREL-LESS/TBC" UNLESS YOU WANT TO HELP ME BUY THE BUSHINGS.:tongue:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Is it high or low or out left or right , is the tailstock locked down when you see this 1/8" problem ?

As a point of reference you don't need special bushings to turn between centers , the stock bushings work fine as is (except slimline) .

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
First question that comes to mind is "Did you start at the beginning?"
Not being a wiseguy, but if you're looking into alignment problems, don't
overlook the obvious things. Start by leveling your table or workbench.
Then check the level of your lathe. Use the feet, use shims, whatever
it takes to get the ways level. Measure that along the ways (check each!)
and use the longest level you can find. Check the level from front to back
(front way to rear way) at both the headstock and the tail end.
If any of those are out, it will make it difficult to solve any other problem.

Then again, there's that mandrel thing. I won't mention getting rid of the
one most-likely-to-cause-alignment-and-out-of-round-issues item because
I can't afford to buy you any bushings. :tongue:

seamus7227

How about mounting up a dead center in the headstock and a live center in the tailstock and bring up to headstock, see if both points line up that way, it would at least tell you if maybe your problem lies in the pen mandrel and not the lathe. just my .02

Oh i see you have already done that. Then it could also be your live center. have you tried using something else like a dead center?

Last edited:

JerrySambrook

I have to add two cents here as well
Just because the points line up when headstock and tailstock are just about touching, does not mean they are parallel with each other. if they headstock and tailstock are not parallel, then the problem magnifies as you move away from headstock. Once parallelism is established, then you can be assured any alignment changes will make a difference down the ways.
The problem you describe though does not sound like a mis-alignment problem, it sound more like a problem of either the headstock or taistock not running true

seamus7227

Just because the points line up when headstock and tailstock are just about touching, does not mean they are parallel with each other. if they headstock and tailstock are not parallel, then the problem magnifies as you move away from headstock. Once parallelism is established, then you can be assured any alignment changes will make a difference down the ways.
The problem you describe though does not sound like a mis-alignment problem, it sound more like a problem of either the headstock or taistock not running true

Jerry, I just learned something new! Thanks for pointing that out, I guess i have been naive and thought that was the only way to know. I'm glad this subject was brought up, I too had this problem a couple of years ago on an old lathe but I got rid of it because it was one of the old steel tube bed style lathe from craftsman and i only paid $35 bucks in a garage sale, so no big deal.

I'm having this problem with a turncrafter i got as xmas presant. I ate two live centers, "working on my third". Centers line up nose to nose, but are off at turning length. I shimmed my headstock .020 tho., left rear,.010 tho.left front, and .005 tho. right rear.
I'm on my 2nd manderl rod. I turned a total of 8 pens since I got this lathe. three that I wouldn't even give away. PSI agreed to upgrade me to the 12 inch in md July. I called last weekand was informed that I have to wait until late Aug. or early Sept.
I loved turning pens on my old $20 craftsman, but with all the trouble I have had, I don't even feel like going out to my shop.

Lenny

Great point Jerry!
I have often wondered about this very thing. But the question is How do you test for that other than bringing the centers together like shown?
I think I have seen a double ended #2 morse taper that is used for this very thing... ?? :confused:
This is what I was talking about..
http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Mer...Code=packard&Category_Code=lathes-acc-mrstool

Attachments

• alignment2.jpg
    alignment2.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

rherrell

Put the mandrel back in so you can see how far it's off and then start shimming under the feet. It's a trial and error thing but believe it or not, the ways will twist when you shim it. Keep shimming until you get the right combination and the mandrel lines up.:wink:

Top Bottom