Engineering help please!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
I am in need of some Engineering help. There is a tool that is heavily used in my trade called a "Laminate shear". A company called Bullet makes the best ones. The only problem is the one i would really like to have is right around $800.

It is such a simple device, I cannot for the life of me see why it could not be created in a shop for much much less on a one or two time scale type thing.

So, I am trying to figure out what i would need for materials to make a crude, mean, ugly, well working version of this high dollar cutter. It is a simple shear with a big handle. you swing the handle down, and it cuts through the board. Something electric would be even cooler of course, but here again, budget is always a factor.

Would it be cheaper to just buy the premade one? Or maybe pay someone $400 or 500 to make a better version? There are some really cheap laminate cutters on the market, but i really don't think they could stand up to the abuse i would throw at it from just one job.

Anyway... They say the most innovative ideas always come from outside the specific field, so i figured I would ask our resident tool geniuses!!

PS: The idea of the tool is to be able to cut laminate flooring boards without getting up off of the floor where you are installing. The tool has to be a shear type cut as opposed to a spinning blade because it is crucial that it remain dust free. The material is pretty tough, so it takes a sharp, STRONG blade, and some pretty good force, especially with wide or thick material.

Thanks for any advice you might have. I would really like to add something of this sort to my tools because it would save me alot of work in the long run, walking back and forth to the table saw. I don't know how much up and down my poor ole knees can handle.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

snyiper

why not something like a big long (your choice) blade very sharp on one end but very square on the top to be struck with a hammer of some sort to cut laminate?

RAdams

Banned
why not something like a big long (your choice) blade very sharp on one end but very square on the top to be struck with a hammer of some sort to cut laminate?

that's what i am talkin about! re-engineer the whole thing, simplify it, and become a millionare! Now i just gotta build one!

Thanks for the link Constant! I didn't look at their site... Is that price for the 920?

snyiper

that's what i am talkin about! re-engineer the whole thing, simplify it, and become a millionare! Now i just gotta build one!

Thanks for the link Constant! I didn't look at their site... Is that price for the 920?

Ron I would look at a Leaf spring out of a car or truck spring pack, something easy enough to handel. remove the temper by heating and straighten it out. now take and have one end ground into a nice even long blade cut a couple handels holes in about 1/3 from each end (like a ULU) have it retempered (heat and cool off in oil) there is the new " RA LAMINATE SLAYER"

Mark

Those old school paper cutters are pretty big and strong!!

The ones I've seen, use the same principal, only lots of additional steroids are added. :biggrin:

They work great on any laminate up to about 12 - 14mm. After that it becomes you against the material. It becomes tiring really quick. Most of our installers start using a small compound saw after 12mm thick.

Just my $.02

Here is a link: http://www.tools4flooring.com/roberts-10-35-laminate-cutter-p-1162.html

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Make a wooden frame out of 4x4 hardwood. Have 1" through-holes in the top rail and 1" counter-sunk holes in the bottom rail 3" in from the inside edge of each rail. Also have 1" holes 2" down from the inside edge of each side rail.

Between sides of the frame add a 4x4 movable piece that has a 1" hole in each end. To the bottom of this piece bolt two pieces of angle iron to sandwich your cutting blade. Either through-bold the blade or tap and thread one side of the angle iron to add clamp bolts.

Use 1" black iron through the holes in the top rails, through the movable piece, and into the counter sunk holes in the bottom frame rail. Mount "weak" springs over the 1" black pipe on each side under the movable piece.

Build a Cam-Shaft by using a piece of 1-1/4" black pipe and attach several matching cams made out of 1" hardwood along its length. Add a handle perpendicular to the camshaft (maybe using a X or T coupler?). Place the cam shaft between the holes in the side of the frame rails. Slide a 1" black pipe through the entire thing and put end-caps on each side so it doesn't pull through. Pulling the lever down rotates the cams which push the movable board down and cuts whatever is under it.

Size the width of the frame to match the width of stuff you are cutting. Size the height to fit all the above plus the height of the material you are cutting.

You should be able to build the entire thing for ~$30 if you buy everything new.

Here is a picture of a simple cam that you can blow up on a copier to the size you need.

Just my thoughts off the top of my head. Hope it helps!

Attachments

• Cam-20.jpg
    Cam-20.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 148
Top Bottom