Agarita bush hunt...thanks Mesquiteman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario

During my visit to Curtis, he introduced me to Agarita. It is the BEST YELLOW colored wood I've ever seen. The wood grain is very unique too! Anyway, I collected some agarita bush branch and roots last week. Very hard to find descent sized ones but scored a few.

Agarita itself is easy to harvest...it is the other plants around it that intimidates me. Looks like it will co-exist with Poison Ivy very well [xx(]. Anyway I am lucky that I didn't encounted any PI...just Cat's Claw vines...and these ones live up to their name! :(

Only problem I am having now is some of them are cracking...even with anchorsealed ends! [:0][B)]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Will do Coach. We just spoke actually and I am meeting him at 7 tonight.

It is tunable...if you have a source, get it (or I can do it [;)]) LOL

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
It is definately turnable if you find a big enough piece. I have made a couple pens and a nice hollowform from it.

Dario, you have to drill the center out right away. I actually drill it out and then immediately drop it in DNA for a few days. have not had any split where I did that.

Here is the hollowform:
Algarita.jpg

And here is a pen:
Agarita.jpg

Dario

Originally posted by thewishman
<br />That is awesome looking stuff. Dario, will you be adding that to your "Chef's Special?"

As of now, I don't have enough to even consider it. That may change if and when I find a good source. The bush doesn't grow too big. An officemate of mine have one on his yard for 20 years and the trunks are still no more than 1/2" dia according to him [:0]. Of course in the wild they may grow faster.

Note that the wood is soft/brittle and will surely benefit getting some sort of stabilization.

I do have a few smaller diameter pieces...1/2" or so in diameter, if you want to give it a try I will give you some free...just send me shipping cost [:)]. If interested, e-mail me.

I just read that the roots were used to color some parachute doing World War II. Not sure why they want anything bright yellow during war though [:D][?]

The pic of the hollow form Curtis showed is MUCH MUCH better in person. [^]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom