After the dishwasher / sandblaster

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from shagnasty

shagnasty

I had given a couple blades and a scoop to some relatives and they put them thru the dishwasher. Needless to say the dishwasher was like a sandblaster and they looked horrible afterward and there were gaps between the scales and the tang on the bigger blade. The scoop was cocobolo but looked really bad after the dishwasher. It was like all the natural oils had been stripped out of the wood and it was bleached a lighter color.
Anyways, I am mailing them back now with new handles and a new scoop.
Red Mallee burl and Box Elder burl on the scoop.
Heres some pics.... Larry
PGoutgoing001.jpg

PGoutgoing005.jpg

PGoutgoing009.jpg

No before pics of the blades but heres one of the old scoop. I just bought a new kit for the scoop thru rockler, since that was easier than trying to dismantle the thing any further. The other reason is the old one was brass and the now they have stainless, which seems a little nicer. Anyways you see can a pic below of the cocobolo scoop and how the collar came off. That was put on with long set epoxy, same with the handles on the blades.
BEFORE------->
Nov08087.jpg

Nov08088.jpg

AFTER ------------->
DWscoop001.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

The replacements look great! The Red Mallee looks particularly nice on the blades.
I would have liked to see the damaged versions, too :)

-Barry

shagnasty

Thanks guys,
I didn't get pics of the blades prior to fixing them, but I still have the old scoop. I just bought a new kit for the scoop thru rockler, since that was easier than trying to dismantle the thing any further. The other reason is the old one was brass and the now they have stainless, which seems a little nicer. Anyways you see can a pic below of the cocobolo scoop and how the collar came off. That was put on with long set epoxy, same with the handles on the blades.

DWscoop001.jpg

phillywood

Larry those look real nice. As a matter of fact, so nice that I don't know if I want to put them to work anymore. I have a qsn. on the rivets on the knives, where did you get those I have a set that we did the dame thing dishwasher took the life out of the walnut handles. At the time I didn't know what to do which is a shame. But now I see that they can be fixed again. But need to find out where to get those rivets. The other Qsn. is now that those wood handles look so good what did you do for the finish that they won't end up same way again and hold up to the enzymes form the milk in the ice cream and the stuff in the meat and other veggies won't eat into them. Can you explain please?

shagnasty

Larry those look real nice. As a matter of fact, so nice that I don't know if I want to put them to work anymore. I have a qsn. on the rivets on the knives, where did you get those I have a set that we did the dame thing dishwasher took the life out of the walnut handles. At the time I didn't know what to do which is a shame. But now I see that they can be fixed again. But need to find out where to get those rivets. The other Qsn. is now that those wood handles look so good what did you do for the finish that they won't end up same way again and hold up to the enzymes form the milk in the ice cream and the stuff in the meat and other veggies won't eat into them. Can you explain please?

Hey Philly,
The wood handles are all stabilized. I use WSSI down in Iowa for my stabilizing, and have for years. The box elder is dyed purple as well. The stabilizing basically infuses them with acrylic, so they won't swell, shrink and so forth like regular wood. The pins in the blades are called mosaic pins, and usaknifemaker.com has them and other knife supply houses. Hope that makes sense....If not you can PM too. Thanks Larry

Top Bottom