African Pearwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

One of my turners at the blind center wanted to make a back scratcher and the only blank I had that was long enough and large enough in diameter was a piece of African Pearwood, 1.5" square and about a foot long. I was calling it African Granite-wood before the class was over...he managed to get it round and started turning it down in an hour...spent more time resharpening the chisel than turning....discovered today it is the tenth hardest wood in the world! He may finish it in time to make a Christmas gift of it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
One of my turners at the blind center wanted to make a back scratcher and the only blank I had that was long enough and large enough in diameter was a piece of African Pearwood, 1.5" square and about a foot long. I was calling it African Granite-wood before the class was over...he managed to get it round and started turning it down in an hour...spent more time resharpening the chisel than turning....discovered today it is the tenth hardest wood in the world! He may finish it in time to make a Christmas gift of it.
If memory serves, African Wild Pear also has a very distinct (unpleasant) odor as well.

sbwertz

No, didn't notice any odor from this....but it seems it is notorious for dulling tools. Very high silica content, as well as being hard as rocks.

Top Bottom