Advise on what to do

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from toyotaman

toyotaman

I have been putting alot of thought into a new carbide turning tool and I think I have it designed in my head and a little on paper. I am not a machinest at all. I would not have a clue how to start but I have had a very good brainstorm over the last few days. Where do I need to go from here? I would like to get with someone that makes these things and work together. I think I have something that will be big. This could possibly take a place in the marketplace. I just hope I'm not jumping the gun. What's your thoughts on this???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

StephenM

Find a small machine shop and work with them to make the prototype. Then try it out and see if it actually works the way you thought it would.

After that, you can start looking at patent (if applicable), production, etc. but the first step is to get a working prototype. To protect yourself, don't tell the machine shop what it's for, just describe what you want and work with them on making a working prototype.

toyotaman

Very good advise. I have a friend that makes turning tools for our turning club. Do you think he would be good to work with or should I go solo? The only reason I would pick him is he already has knowledge of making tools.

Andrew_K99

There are two approaches ...

1) Sell your idea (and/or get royalties) to someone already in the business.
2) Make and sell the product yourself.

If this is a small change to an existing product, which I am going to assume it is because there are quite a number of carbide turning tools on the market, then your best bet may be option 1. This will get the product to market faster and will cause less headaches.

If you proceed with option 2 the upfront costs (marketing, stock, R&D, possible patents) and time commitment will me much higher, you also take all the risks if it isn't successful.

AK

Top Bottom