Advice Needed.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mossy

Ok Guys and Gals,
I need some advice , as well as making pens I would like to make Jewellery boxs and other bits and bobs . So what equipment do I require. At the moment I have a lathe (wood) ,band saw and a pillar drill.
Any info would be much appreciated. :befuddled:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fiferb

My first purchase would be a decent table saw. After that you may want to consider a miter saw, router and table. Then a planer and jointer. That should cover about anything. Next you'll need clamps, clamps, and more clamps. :)

leehljp

Member Liaison
Look for and get a few good books:
1. Boxes
2. Jigs,
And if possible:
3. Routers
4. Table Saws

A good book on boxes will show lots of ways to make joints, as well as the jigs needed to make them. It will show how to do it on different kinds of machines.

A good book on Jigs will open the doors to many possibilities - for the TS, Router, BandSaw, and other. It will GREATLY increase the potential of those tools.

These books will shorten the learning curve. IF you get these first, they may help decide which tools to get first.

I have been woodworking for about 30 years now. I went with a radial arm saw over a table saw and have never regretted it. I just added a table saw 2 years ago. My first 3 stationary tools were a band saw, arm saw, and a belt sander. Still would do it the same today if I needed to.

Mossy

Thanks for the advice , this is very much appreciated and I'll take it all on board.

Martin.

GaryMGg

First purchase: Table saw
Before the second purchase, make as many jigs as you can to include 90-degree crosscut sled, 45-degree miter sled, thin ripping jig, slipfeather jig (aka spline jig), and perhaps a tenoning jig.
Once you've got the TS & jigs, it helps define what you need next.
If each of the above jigs is well made, you'll probably want a router.
Many of the jigs mentioned elide the need for a miter saw for some time.
My $.02 & worth about what you paid for it! :biggrin:

Haynie

I am going to suggest, as someone who recently went through this process, that a thickness planer be on the list too.

Top Bottom