adhesive

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Not long ago there was some talk and chatter here and a few people toying with a CA adhesive that required a UV light source to cure it. Has anyone come up with a good product that worked well and also a light source for it?? I believe that was a problem as well. It needed a certain UV light source. I am asking because there is a person on another forum interested in gluing some antique glassware and was told by the manufacturer that was what they use. But they do not do repairs and someone who does repairs will cost more than the piece is worth so they want to try on their own. I remember this forum playing with this as a finish not long ago. Any help??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

I have heard of UV cure epoxy, like Alumi-UV. Alumilite sells UV light sources to use this with, they are like little boxes with UV lights, I'm not sure what wavelength they use.

howsitwork

I believe there is a dental resin which is UV cure. Do we have any dentists in the membership to confirm this??

monophoto

According to Dr Google, there are quite a few options for UV-cured adhesives. My quick survey didn't show any pricing, but my intuitive guess is that the adhesives are more expensive that conventional materials just because they are new to the market, but the actual cost of using them will be considerably greater due to the need to purchase a suitable UV light.

And occasionally an ad will pop up in the middle of a YouTube video promoting some kind of new UV-cured glue that claims it to be superior to everything else on the market.

And to Ian's point, yes there is and I have some personal experience with it - my dentist argued that I absolutely had to allow him to apply some 'surface fillings' to repair some gum-line erosion. I resisted quite a while, but finally agreed to go ahead with the procedure. The basic process involved scuffing the tooth surface a bit, apply a paste-like compound that the dentist's assistant mixed to have a color that matched the tooth being treated, and then zap it with a special UV light (special in the sense that the light wavelength was specified by the manufacturer of the material, and the price of the light emitting device was probably exorbitant because it was designed to be sold to dentists) that cured the material in a few seconds, after which the dentist polished the surface. The result was a coating that supposedly protected the tooth from further erosion.

It lasted about a month before it fell off.

GraiDawg

I used to work at a glazing company that used in cure adhesive. It's not wildly dissimilar from thin CA glue but needed a uv ight to cure
It was "HOW MUCH!!!" expensive that may have just been the supplier though (bohle if you are curious)

penicillin

Fingernail polishes that are UV cured are common. As mentioned above, I have also seen UV cured dental fills.

I can easily image UV cured finishes for woodworking, but have more trouble understanding how a UV adhesive for woodworking can work. Can the UV light penetrate the joint? Does the curing propagate through the adhesive if only the edge gets the UV light? ... etc.?

Penchant 4

Not long ago there was some talk and chatter here and a few people toying with a CA adhesive that required a UV light source to cure it. Has anyone come up with a good product that worked well and also a light source for it?? I believe that was a problem as well. It needed a certain UV light source. I am asking because there is a person on another forum interested in gluing some antique glassware and was told by the manufacturer that was what they use. But they do not do repairs and someone who does repairs will cost more than the piece is worth so they want to try on their own. I remember this forum playing with this as a finish not long ago. Any help??
Easyinlay.com for the resin (it is UV resin rather than a CA); curing light, et. al.

howsitwork

Fingernail polishes that are UV cured are common. As mentioned above, I have also seen UV cured dental fills.

I can easily image UV cured finishes for woodworking, but have more trouble understanding how a UV adhesive for woodworking can work. Can the UV light penetrate the joint? Does the curing propagate through the adhesive if only the edge gets the UV light? ... etc.?
So we could all have lovely nails as well as our beautiful creations for our better halves to marvel at 🤔🤔🤔

Sounds a bit camp to me 🤪

As you say can't see it being of value in wood working unless "through cure" is progressive and fairly rapid but for glass work as the OP enquired maybe of use?

jttheclockman

Solarez was the name that I was looking for. That got some play here awhile ago. Thanks everyone. I passed it on to that person.

studioseven

I've used the alumilte UV resin on rings (along with others). It just seemed to take forever for the resin to cure. Several days. I thought that maybe my uv light wasn't strong enough so purchased a higher quality light. Same result. I had bought my Alumilite UV from Turners Warehouse. I sent them an email asking if this was normal (the curing time) after being exposed to the UV light. They said it would be tacky. I never considered using it on pen blanks. It does polish up nice. Hope this helps.

Seven

walshjp17

I have used Bondic to affix watch parts to blanks. Works really well and does not have the same problems using CA with Alumilite Clear/Clear Slow. After curing with the Bondic built-in light, the parts are hard fixed to the blank. The blank is then put ino a mold with one of the above Alumilite products and then into a pressure pot. Comes out spot on perfect.

Top Bottom