Adding a clip to a closed end pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NJturner

I am just starting to get going with kitless pens and have enjoyed everything so far. I am one of those that prefer a clip on a pen, however this seems to be the minority of kitless examples I am seeing. I read some of the resource articles on this looking for ideas and haven't yet found a consistent solution.

I'd like to potentially put a threaded insert into the cap and have a threaded post in the cap top which could hold the clip in place - cap and cap topper being the same materials. I would want the cap top to be seamless with the cap body - meaning I'd have to be able to do all finishing steps on the cap before putting the clip in place, then tighten it down. I prefer the clip top loop be inside the cap itself, so only the clip shows, but I am not totally opposed to the clip top looking like a metal layer in the cap body - I just don't know how I could turn and finish the cap when the clip was in place.

Does anyone use a post and thread solution? Sources? I found nice clips on the Beaufort site that I could potentially use, just stymied on how to do it.

Any other ideas would be welcome too!

Kevin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pierre---

If you use the post and thread technique, you will always have a seam :
100_9953.JPG

My solution is to dig a hole as explained here and glue the clip ring. Epoxy (a lot of it) is extremely strong, especially with a small piece of wood inside to compress everything :
100_0537.JPG

NJturner

If you use the post and thread technique, you will always have a seam :
View attachment 322844

My solution is to dig a hole as explained here and glue the clip ring. Epoxy (a lot of it) is extremely strong, especially with a small piece of wood inside to compress everything :
View attachment 322845
Pierre- these are both really nice, but I see your comment on the seam. Could you check your link - it's not working - because I like your seamless pen very much. Thank you!

Kevin

PatrickR

Yeah, I'm not steady enough to do it this way. I would put the clip in at a joint between two different materials or add a trim ring to disguise the joint if you can't live with it.

Penultimate

Greetings
I started by turning a tenon on the finial and threading it a size slightly smaller than the clip ring. Tap the cap body and screw the parts together.

You can also use a set screw threaded into the cap and finial. This works well if you make clips from strip stock.

To hide the clip ring in the cap I drill a flat bottom hole in the lathe with an end mill.

Good luck.

Top Bottom