About Amboyna From Vancouver

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

amboyna

In direct response to this thread:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72509

I will give you the Cliff Notes version since I am a one fingered typist.
Arriving at this great and informative site I immediately joined and have been reading a lot for the past couple weeks. This morning I added a tiny bit of info to my profile. But I doubt it is enough to explain much. So here goes:
Took woodshop in High School where I fell in love with the lathe. In the early 70's I purchased a Shopsmith for $150. At first all I had to turn was salvage wood. Such as Walnut stumps from trees that died in a freeze in the Willamete Valley in Oregon. Chain saws, skil saws, etc. were used to process the wood. Eventually I discovered Gilmer Woods in Portland Oregon. Long story short, I am still buying from Gilmer Woods. Went there the other day and picked up some Birdseye Cocuswood, Fiddleback Mesquite from Paraguay (Prosopis nigra), some beautiful Snakewood, and some Pau Rosa (Swartzia spp.)
I started turning Pens about 15 years ago I think. I made a bunch of slimlines and a couple bigger ones. Can't remember what they were. But the bushings I used fit the Double Twist. Well, I quit making pens until now.
Things have changed a lot since then. There were not that many styles to choose from then. And now... Well, I am overwhelmed at the different kits available.
Lately I have been turning Wall Street II and Navigator pens from scraps leftover from turning bowls and making coffee tables.
I have a 3' by 5' veneer press. I tape up diamond match veneer tops, press them and make a solid border and solid legs. Sold a few over the years. Use to sell Veneer top Backgammon Tables at a place called Real Mother Goose in downtown Portland. The last one we sold went for $1,500. And they take 40%. So we quit doing that. Made Cribbage Boards and Clocks from veneer for a while too. Oh, and Ping Pong Paddles. The Ping Pong paddled went well for a couple years. Finally foreign markets started beating our prices and put us out of business.
So here I am trying to find a sellable commodity. Good luck with that. Right?

I am not really hesitant to give out information. I'm just new here.

Check out the photo of an old Pen Kit from Woodcraft. Part number 123052. I paid $3.95 a long, long time ago. Woodcraft has them on sale for $2.45.:mad:

Oh, and there is a Woodcraft about 20 miles from where I live.
woodcraft.jpg

Quite the Bio, eh?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

amboyna

Thanks everyone. I'm still trying to catch up in the world of pen turning.
CA glue is used as a finish. Acrylic blanks (among others) are the rage. And custom pens (modified Kits) are hot as well.\
One thing I'm trying to figure out is stabilizing a blank. Do you stabilize a blank because it is weak and might blow up on your lathe?

ctubbs

Most likely a blank is stabilized due to its poor condition. Often the wood is punky or wormy to the point of being 'worthless' thus worthless wood blanks. Often some PR or other casting material is poured into and/or on the wood to fill out the blank. this is just from what I have seen on site. There are experts on this subject here. Hopefully one of them will join right here. By the way, welcome from West Kentucky. Enjoy the ride.
Charles

Top Bottom