A whole new life.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I've been kinda quiet for the last month or so. Getting my head around stuff and learning loads.;)

At the end of May I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma. Bone marrow cancer. It was discovered pretty much by chance after a normal male check up and blood test.
When they first told me, it was what they called Smoldering ( or Indolent ) Myeloma. Due to my relatively young age, apparent lack of symptoms, general health etc, they were just going to monitor and wait and see....
I just assumed my periodic back ache and sometimes tiredness was just from work and age creeping up on me. ( 58 now )

Long story short, after several more tests, x-rays, blood tests, bone marrow biopsy and on Friday, a full body MRI. I got a call from my consultant to say that unfortunately they had found several bone lesions on my spine and are going to get me in for radiotherapy very soon and chemo will start in two weeks. They already had me on bone strengthening drugs and have had a few dentist visits to get the all clear from them ( can't afford to get ONJ )

It's not going to get me down. I have a great medical team ( thank God for the NHS !!! ) and an even more wonderful wife, and we all intend to give it a damned good fight. !!!:)

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Sorry to hear this news Steven. But I'm glad they've found it, and have a treatment plan. We've missed you around here. And hope to hear more from you. I have no doubt you will fight this. Thanks for the update.

Reactions: DrD

Alan Morrison

Bless you Steven
Thanks for sharing your news, I'm sure that it was not easy. Hopefully they have caught this in plenty of time to get you back to normal.

Alan

Reactions: DrD

jttheclockman

Was wondering where you were buddy. I thought you were jumping all around with that job of yours. Miss your words of wisdom and tactful retorts.:) Seriously though I wish you all the best in fighting this. Glad you are in good hands and may the Good Lord be with you as you recover from this. Take it easy and listen to the doctors. Hopefully they caught it all early and the treatment is not too harsh. If you get bored or just want a laugh you know me, I am always screwing up some way here. Stop by and jump in. Take care.

walshjp17

Sincerely hope your treatment regimen goes well and you're back at the pen station in short order making your positively creative art pieces.

magpens

My thoughts are with you and your family, Steven. . Thanks for sharing.

I feel that your analytical, thoughtful, confident approach to everything is going to make you successful in conquering this challenge also !!

Good luck ! ... Cheers ! ... Please keep us posted whenever you feel up to it !

George883

Hang in there and keep your sprits up. I have a friend that was older than you when he was diagnosed with bone marrow cancer. He beat it (and so can you) and has been doing great for the last 25 years.

TonyL

Beyond prayers (which I am a strong believer in), please let us know if there are any other ways to help.

SteveJ

May you be granted only mild reactions to your treatment and abundant energy in your battle. I will pray for you and especially your wife, whose pain will not be physical but who will no doubt suffer deeply as she walks this path with you.

turncrazy43

Steven, sorry to hear about your situation. I will be praying for you and your family. Stay positive and God will see you through this.
Turncrazy43

duncsuss

Wishing you all the best, Steve - hope your medical team get the treatment plan right on target and all goes well.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow...thanks for all the kind words. :)
@george.....25 years huh? Even if i was fit and healthy, that would be testing my wife's patience...... :)

hilltopper46

Sorry to hear this. I was just talking to a friend at our wood turning club about this disease last night. Amazing the advances in treatment that have developed in the last 25 years when my spouse was diagnosed with MM.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks again guys. :)
Yep, as has been said, the advances in treatments is improving at a fantastic rate. I may even be eligible for trial treatments too.
Even chemo is not necessarily the first line of defence anymore. Although the term 'Chemotherapy' is still used, it's kinda just a generic term for any treatment. I'm actually going to have Immunotherapy where, besides other drugs as well, they use your own immune system to fight it.
If or when I need a stem cell transplant, they will have already harvested my own jungle juice, and stick it back in later. All very clever stuff.
Obviously, I'd rather not have it, but the more I learn, the more positive I get. ;)

Cheers for now

TonyL

Thanks again guys. :)
Yep, as has been said, the advances in treatments is improving at a fantastic rate. I may even be eligible for trial treatments too.
Even chemo is not necessarily the first line of defence anymore. Although the term 'Chemotherapy' is still used, it's kinda just a generic term for any treatment. I'm actually going to have Immunotherapy where, besides other drugs as well, they use your own immune system to fight it.
If or when I need a stem cell transplant, they will have already harvested my own jungle juice, and stick it back in later. All very clever stuff.
Obviously, I'd rather not have it, but the more I learn, the more positive I get. ;)

Cheers for now
If it helps and heals, please keep us posted.

oldstoker

G'Day Skip,
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I know what you are going through as I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma, back in February 2012. Having a positive outlook certainly helps.

Cheers Joe

Top Bottom