A New Spin on Sweet Gum Pods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ankrom Exotics

Turned this one this morning. It's an Elegant Sierra from Berea Hardwoods with a satin chrome finish. The blank is made from several Sweet Gum Pods arranged in a row and cast in white Alumilite. Kind of a pain to make but I like the results.

Attachments

• Sweet Gum Pod Pen01.jpg
    Sweet Gum Pod Pen01.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 376
  • Sweet Gum Pod Pen02.jpg
    Sweet Gum Pod Pen02.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 383
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Used to have a sweet gum tree in the yard. Got rid of it. This was before woodworking and penturning. That is a unique blank and pen!

Sly Dog

I love it! Always liked sweet gum trees (except for stepping on those pods). Beautiful fall tree tho. Very interesting blank.

JohnU

Looks Great ! I've made a lot of multi colored resin pod blanks and pens but the pods often get lost in the colors. I like how the white shows off everything the pods have going on. Keep up the great work!

Worst part in making them is picking them up and cleaning them. Brings back lots of memories of a sore back!

PBorowick

Funny thing, I picked a whole grocery bag of those last week thinking the would look great in resin....now I have proof that they do!
Thanks for sharing.

Funny thing, I picked a whole grocery bag of those last week thinking the would look great in resin....now I have proof that they do!
Thanks for sharing.

You won't get this same look by just casting these in a mold and pouring resin over them. Here's a photo that will hopefully give you an idea of how I made this blank (from left to right).

Attachments

• Img_0003.jpg
    Img_0003.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 210

ramaroodle

Ah Ha.....cutting them off and inserting a stick down the middle! I've done pine cones before but that was the process I should have used to avoid the voids between them! Excellent! Great technique and process. Thanks.

Top Bottom