A new lamp - in case the lights go out in Georgia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TellicoTurning

Another of my "Hurricane" lamps with a glass font embedded in the wood turning.... this one is spalted maple with a maple sawdust band where the two pieces join.. I usually try to hid where the joint is, but think I cut a little deep on this one and exposed the glass, so made the sawdust band.

The turning is 5 1/2" diameter and 7 1/2" high, with the burned and chimney the overall height is just under 15 inches. This one goes into my exhibit at the local art show next month. Last time I exhibited lamps at this show, sold the exhibit at the show and 2 or 3 special orders afterwards... would be nice again.

Attachments

• 22-3184_0.jpg
    22-3184_0.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 222
  • 22-3184_2.jpg
    22-3184_2.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 210
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveAxelrod

I love functional art and that lamp is beautiful. Can't say I've heard anyone making a sawdust band before. I like it! What did you use as a binder? Assuming the lamp oil sits in contact with the wood, what did you use as a protective finish?

I love functional art and that lamp is beautiful. Can't say I've heard anyone making a sawdust band before. I like it! What did you use as a binder? Assuming the lamp oil sits in contact with the wood, what did you use as a protective finish?

Steve,
Sorry to be late in responding... when I put the two halves of the turning together over the glass font, I wanted to cut a groove where the two halves met, but cut a little too deep and left the glass partially exposed... I cut the groove wider filled it with the finer sawdust from the turning process and soaked it with thin CA as I went along... I kept adding sawdust and CA until I have it built up to my liking, then turned it back flush with the edge and sanded it down. Much like you would do if you were doing a stone inlay.

The lamp oil doesn't contact the wood as I have a glass font embedded in the wood to hold the oil. These are lamps that I've found at local hardware, K-Mart or WalMart that has the low squatty bases.

Top Bottom